Please help me to identify the model of a Poseidon First Stage & compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Caveagle is there any way you could provide me that bulletin in PM maybe.

I run one of the "tacked on props" that @Bigbella refers to. It is not my secondary, its primary purpose is an OPV. I figured a Cyklon second was a less likely failure point than a cheap OPV.

If I can see reason to go back to a crappy OPV I will.

Which Cyklon set are you using? Those prior to the OPV in the first stage? Shouldn't you already possess the OPV in the hoses?

First generation xstream 1st with xstream second on long hose with no OPV. I want one of the omniswivels with OPV built in. I have an army Cyklon seconds laying around.

I have one of those as well, and installed a Poseidon OPV one one of the unused ports, while running a Cyklon on the Xstream. I later bought some cheapo valves through some online shop; but they tended to leak after a while . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2115.JPG
    IMG_2115.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 198
I bought a couple of those. I didnt like the way they looked, so I researched and didn't find one good review. I didnt want the aggravation of them leaking needlessly so I just threw in the parts box.

I just am trying to understand why Poseidon says to not mix. Is it only based on the poor performance of the Cyklon at lower IP pressures, or is there something I'm missing?

the second stages are designed to run at very different IP ranges. Since Poseidon is a European country, they are required to comply with their CE registration and since the Cyklon won't pass at Jetstream IP and vice versa, they say you can't mix them.

If running Cyklons, you do NOT need an OPV, it's a downstream valve design, so the OPV is only required with a Jetstream or an Xstream. If you are diving those second stages and are using them on a first stage without an OPV, investing in the omniswivel adapters is worth the money IMO since the port plug OPV's are very unreliable.

@tbone1004 thank you. I was thinking it had to be something with performance and didnt even think about CE registration.

If running Cyklons, you do NOT need an OPV, it's a downstream valve design, so the OPV is only required with a Jetstream or an Xstream. If you are diving those second stages and are using them on a first stage without an OPV, investing in the omniswivel adapters is worth the money IMO since the port plug OPV's are very unreliable.

I was using a number of second stages and IPs with my oldest Xstream first stage; so the OPV made sense. I have never had an issue with them, in close to twenty years . . .

@tbone1004 thank you. I was thinking it had to be something with performance and didnt even think about CE registration.

It has plenty to do with performance as well. A Jetstream second, with an 8.5 bar IP (at least, on an Xstream first) will function poorly at a Cyklon's rated IP of 11.5 bar, and vice versa. One or the other's breathing will absolutely suck . . .

Hi all,

I received this excellent response yesterday to an email to Poseidon :

Good Morning Tony.

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm there are no differences whatsoever between a 3950 & 3720 Cyklon Regulators.

When Regulators are assembled in Sweden, if a Cyklon is shipped out with a 1st & 2nd stage and a hose i.e a complete Regulator.
It is marked 3950.

When a Regulator is shipped out from Sweden as just as 1st stage, then it is marked 3720.

So this is purely to identify how the Regulator was assembled from day 1.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Best Regards

Tom

Tom Barker
Sales Support

raw

6 Mill Lane
Alton
Hampshire GU34 2QG
Email: sales@poseidon-uk.co.uk
Phone: +44 (0)1420 84300

Back
Top Bottom