Please help sort out BPW options.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a quick point about Plastic vs Aluminum plates.

The correct aluminum alloys, 50XX series works pretty well in marine environments. Reasonable care and no problems should be expected, as long as you avoid dissimilar metals, i.e. stainless bolts in al, brass fasteners etc. Think about all the AL tanks in use in the sea.....

I selected plastic over Aluminum for two reasons:

1) It's a little lighter in total weight, i.e. airline travel, and is ~1lbs. less negative in use.

2) It's slightly flexible. This runs contrary to conventional wisdom regarding Backplates, but a slight flex increase comfort when wearing little exposure suit.

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Just a quick point about Plastic vs Aluminum plates.

The correct aluminum alloys, 52XX series works pretty well in marine environments. Reasonable care and no problems should be expected, as long as you avoid dissimilar metals, i.e. stainless bolts in al, brass fasteners etc. Think about all the AL tanks in use in the sea.....

I selected plastic over Aluminum for two reasons:

1) It's a little lighter in total weight, i.e. airline travel, and is ~1lbs. less negative in use.

2) It's slightly flexible. This runs contrary to conventional wisdom regarding Backplates, but a slight flex increase comfort when wearing little exposure suit.

Regards,

Tobin
Tobin, have you seen any of your plastic plates break?

Again, Grajan, if I were you I'd get the Tobin special (the DSS rig) and go diving :)

SeanQ:
You consider the H logos a con but not the OMS logos? I dun get it.. :hm:

I think the issue is with the "HALCYON DIR Dive Systems" reflectorised logo on the wing (and the MC pac if you get one). Specifically the "DIR" part
I don't think the poster of the thread really has an issue, just would probably prefer to avoid the anti DIR sentiment from those who are silly enough to automatically equate a Halcyon rig with DIR.

Grajan:
Not really being serious about the logos......

All my previous BC's have been bladderless and I've never had a leak yet so I'm not sure the case is made. How much difference is there in the streamlining between the Pioneer (no STA) and the Eclipse?

I did have a seam leak in my Pioneer (and there are some others with the same problem) so there is/was a case made. As far as streamlining goes I couldn't say. I always used an STA to keep things rock solid. I would guess the STA adds an inch or so to the tank height when trimmed out horizontzlly. Not enough to even think about. On a side note the OMS logo does look a little nicer than the Halcyon logo, but the OMS customer service is nowhere near the level of Halcyon's in my experience.

Hi Jonnythan,

Thanks for the kind words.

I've heard about ABS plates breaking, never seen one fail. My guess is that the wing nuts on doubles sets created a point load in the center channel.

One reason why I selected Kydex over ABS was it's greater "toughness." Greater Toughness and impact strenght materials are less likely to fail catastrophically, i.e. bend befor break.

It's also why we reinforce all the highly loaded points with 16 ga Stainless.

Regards,

Tobin

I only have experience with the Halcyon wings, but some answers to the posters questions:
- The Halcyon logo patch is sewn to a flap that is not part of the bladder, so you could remove the stitching if you really wanted to.
- Halcyon will stand behind seam leak problems
- The Pioneer is very stable with a single tank even without an STA due to the internal rods.
- I haven't had a problem with the AL corroding, although I must admit I use my SS plate alot more often.
- A bladderless wing will always be more streamlined that a bladder/cover wing, but will have more potental for damage... to help avoid this, store the wing with gas in it, especially when attached to plate and tank.
- The Eclipse 30 is still pretty compact, but the pioneer 27 disappears to nothing when there is no gas in it.
- The OEM H-webbing can be a little much, but it actually helps me get the straps of the harness even (visual references you don't have with plain black webbing).

Hope this helps.

Have to add a pitch for the OxyCheq setup here. Try this http://www.covci.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74{7}43{3}24{2}26&osCsid=38abe3402721b9a9ad25e41d079d8c8a

That is my single tank setup minus the plate, which is a FredT SS plate. I like it plenty.

SeanQ:
I need to convince my wallet that I need a DeepSeaSupply plate...

When you try one of Tobin's (www.deepseasupply.com) harnesses and backplates, you will be convinced. They are outstandingly well made, and soooooo comfortable. Just tell your wallet that you will sell the old one on E-Bay to make it feel better! :wink:

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom