• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Please share your thoughts on my graduate research Scuba Diver Survey.

Discussion in 'Good Causes, Petitions & Solicitations' started by Erin Jaszczak, May 19, 2021.

1. Wookie

Wookie Curmudgeon Apprentice ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

Rash guards are the most eco-friendly sunscreen around, and now that I can wear a BUFF on my face for hours at a time, I guess I don't need face screen.

But I wear face screen anyway.

fisheater and Erin Jaszczak like this.
  2. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I too had a problem with that question, since I only use sunscreen on my nose and ears...and I use the zinc stuff. So I answered No...but that is not the whole story. The better question would be, do you use sunscreen, if so what kind, or, is it reef-safe?

couv and Erin Jaszczak like this.
  3. JimBlay

JimBlay Divin' Papaw ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Good catch on the sunscreen question. I answered yes because when I do use sunscreen it is always a physical blocker ... zinc or titanium oxide. We not longer use any chemical blockers. Don't even have any in the house. However, when I dive I never use sunscreen. I use sunshirts, buffs, don't go barefoot, etc. Even at the beach we use very little sunscreen and choose sun clothing whenever possible.

Erin Jaszczak likes this.
  4. lowwall

lowwall Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I did it and have a few comments on the survey questions.

- I also marked no because I don't use any sunscreen. Which reminds me of something I specifically look for when looking at dive ops, whether the boats have adequate shade. Perhaps this could be worked in somehow. I'd be happy if dive ops saw this as something worth investing in.

- On what MPAs I've dived in. I honestly have no idea except for the ones where you have to pay a separate fee as it's not something I specifically look for. But I absolutely am looking for places with excellent marine life. I don't believe this was a clickable option on any of the survey questions.
    Depending on the specific survey goals, the focus on naming MPAs may or may not be capturing their impact on dive tourism.

The question on how many times you typically dive in a year. Is that trips or actual dives? It wasn't clear. I answered based on trips.

5. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    As someone who has used surveys in the real world, I was struck by how much of this was open ended. This will make it much, much harder for you to quantify, but it allows people like me who have many outlier thoughts and opinions to express themselves freely. I therefore gave very extensive replies in the hope they would receive due consideration.

As for sunscreen, I have done 5 liveaboard trips to locations where I almost never saw a cloud, never wore sunscreen, and never got a tan. The roof of a diveboat has a very high SPF.

6. Erin Jaszczak

Erin Jaszczak Registered

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thanks for completing the survey and for sharing the feedback. Much appreciated!

7. Erin Jaszczak

Erin Jaszczak Registered

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thank you, John!

8. icechip

icechip ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Black flies finally thinning out