Pneumothorax- recovery procedure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

As some of you may know I managed to break 8 ribs and puncture a lung. The pneumothorax is considered ‘moderate’ from information received a couple of days ago.

I’m resting up but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on best way of improving? E.g. lots of rest? Light exercise? I’m guessing press ups aren’t the best idea.

Just wondering how to give myself the best change of healing as quickly as possible as some days a random action can make one or two of the ribs seem dislodged again and I’ve no idea about what’s best for the punctured lung. Breathing is fine FYI.

Thx,
John

Best exercise: coughing.
If you can do that (without suppressing) from the bottom of your lungs, without any pain in your ribs, you're already halfway there.

Thanks. Pain has gone. Wobbly bits when coughing still remain.

Half way there is fine.

Also remember now this is nearly a dupe post from last week so mods feel free to merge or delete. I was on a lot of meds then.

If you can't cough without pain or "wobbly bits", don't rush any exercise. I'd wait for confirmation on the pleura being healed. Did the lung expand by itself over time?

Thanks for that. I should find out over next 3 or 4 weeks. Lung function improved dramatically when in hospital by day 3 or so. Again, meds make it all a bit hazy.

Anyhow no pain. Wobbly bits a bit harder.

Will stick to walking for now until things feel undislodged. It’s a bit annoying but happy to wait it out just very boring.

Thanks

One more thing - is swimming ok or not until I get the yes/no?

Thx

Broken ribs means that it only hurts when you breath. If you are doing any exercise and thinking about more exercise, you are probably doing some very strong pain meds. It's probably more important to get off the pain meds than it is to increase your exercise levels.
If you are taking Oxycontin (that american replacement for aspirin) talk to your doctor before reducing it - you will feel terrible (like the worst flu you ever had) and you should not be farther away from a bathroom than 20 seconds since when you discover you gotta go, you won't have 30 seconds before you defecate yourself.

Don't you just love me for being the bearer of good news?

Michael

You can't rush this. IMO, important to wean off narcotic pain meds and start very gentle aerobic exercise regimen when you can tolerate without any pain.
The pneumothorax will reaborb on it's own in due time. Probably has already.

You have not asked the question about return to diving yet, but lung/chest wall injuries would need a repeat CT scan and pulmonary function tests at some point to show that there is no residual pneumothorax, fractures healed, no lung blebs or other potential sources of air trapping. I personally would consult a dive medicine expert before getting back underwater.

You can't rush this. IMO, important to wean off narcotic pain meds and start very gentle aerobic exercise regimen when you can tolerate without any pain.
The pneumothorax will reaborb on it's own in due time. Probably has already.

You have not asked the question about return to diving yet, but lung/chest wall injuries would need a repeat CT scan and pulmonary function tests at some point to show that there is no residual pneumothorax, fractures healed, no lung blebs or other potential sources of air trapping. I personally would consult a dive medicine expert before getting back underwater.

+1 on the above. Don't overdo it. Your body will do what it's supposed to, and the down time is relatively short in the grand scheme of things. I'd also echo the excellent advice on getting clearance to dive from a diving medical physician. If I didn't already recommend the London Hyperbaric Medicine group, I'm linking their website below.

London Hyperbaric

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate them.

I’m off all meds for a while now

It’s all improving. I will be seeing two or perhaps three different hospitals to get a good analysis including London Hyperbaric.

I’m just bored and trying to get the right level of exercise in. I don’t do well with bored or lack of exercise but the ribs seem to be coming together and the shortness of breath nearly nil.

But do I jog? Cycle? Swim?

Diving is pretty much my only true passion. I’ve a 3 week trip in Indonesia booked in September.

I’ll forgo that if it has risks.

Meantime just want to get fit again without going backwards.

Thanks for your input. I won’t put myself or anyone else at risk until I’m sure I’m ok.

I did run a bit of the other day. Felt fine. Two days later not so much.

So it’s really just establishing what other people think is a sensible measure of activity.

Inactivity I believe can be equally as damaging.

Thx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom