PNG - areas compared

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alijtaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi
I am contemplating a PNG liveaboard in 2006. Areas that I am considering include Kimbe Bay, Kavieng and Milne Bay. Open to other suggestions as well but definitely prefer liveaboard.

I have searched the site for PNG reports but what I am after is comparative impressions from folk who have dived in more than one area. I have pretty general interests. I really love rays, enjoy big stuff and reefs, am not madly into wrecks and will give muck a go but not for the whole trip.

Any and all comments welcome.

Alison

alijtaylor:
Hi
I am contemplating a PNG liveaboard in 2006. Areas that I am considering include Kimbe Bay, Kavieng and Milne Bay. Open to other suggestions as well but definitely prefer liveaboard.

I have searched the site for PNG reports but what I am after is comparative impressions from folk who have dived in more than one area. I have pretty general interests. I really love rays, enjoy big stuff and reefs, am not madly into wrecks and will give muck a go but not for the whole trip.

Any and all comments welcome.

Alison

My thoughts on your question: These areas are not a frequent destination for North American divers. They are time consuming in getting from point A to point B. Most reports state that there about 500 people a year visiting, what is this number compared to the Caribbean? This area probably holds one of "the" greatest dive destinations in the world, but the degree of difficulty in going there is high. Compared to the Caribbean, you need malaria meds., perhaps tetnus shot and hepatitas shots, you need a ton of patience for a longggg plane ride. There are so many people that will not pay the price, it's not convenient, it's too far both in distance and monetarily for many.
These thoughts, on the other hand, reap rewards....big rewards for those who will go the distance and pay the price. You will see things many will only read about. PNG remains a place of little polution as well as population resulting in a marine environment unlike any other. You will get to see distant topography, cultures, marine life that few see, a part of creation that is somewhat still primatial.
PNG is one place I've dreamed about going for a number of years. I cannot leave my work for a long time period, yet when opportunity knocks you have a choice, of which, I'm currently using to see this place and experience a different land. This trip we are taking certainly can be called adventure tourism. Perhaps this trip is a once in a lifetime chance.

Hi Caymaniac
Be sure to post a report. I am a New Zealander so it is really in my back yard (3 hours to Cairns and then across). But I agree with your comments about a challenging destination. Which itinerary are you doing and what influenced your choice?

Alison

ain't bad, especially in PNG.

Hi Alijtaylor,

Below is a link to my trip report for my Stardancer trip. They occasionally have itineraries that cover Kavieng, the Fathers, the Witus and Kimbe Bay in one trip. I could not have asked for a more extensive exposure to the varied and incredibly vibrant sea life of that region. Unusual weather and current conditions prohibited us form experiencing the full effrect of the big animal diving around Kavieng, but we did get a taste. The trip, as a whole, provided plenty of balance between "muck" and "bommie" diving, the majority being on bommies, or seamounts. The range of creatures, from the tiniest pygmie seahorses to big sharks, was phenominal, with just about every kind of exotic creature imaginable in between, not to mention the lushest, largest and healthiest expanses of coral, hard and soft, that I've ever experienced, by a LONG shot!

While I haven't experienced it, I've read much about the diving in Milne Bay, and it sounds fantastic. That itinerary, though, from what I understand, is much more concentrated on critter diving. I think you'll find the widest range of experience on one of the liveaboards that cruise the northern side of New Britain, hopefully all the way from Kavieng to Kimbe.

Star Dancer trip report: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=58335&highlight=star+dancer+peter+j

Best Regards,

I use a loval travel agent here in Australia for my PNG Trips.
All of the above spots you mentioned are all just insane diving.
Its a matter of do you want technical diving or shallow stuff ?

have a look here will give you a great overview of diving PNG.
http://www.diversionoz.com

Anyone that says its too far or to hard to get there is crazy.... Its the best diving you will ever have, once you are flying along 4kms drop offs with the mantas i am sure you will agree.

Cheers
Chris

After a lot of research we went with Milne Bay, we love the reefs, small stuff and fish. Plus you get two decent wrecks and the possibility of sharks, etc… Kimbe seems to be a mix with emphasis on large stuff. Kavieng is most definitely about the large schools, mantas and sharks. As others have mentioned due to the travel time we went with the 10day trip with Mike Ball. From your post Kavieng sounds like a good fit for you don't think you can go wrong with any of the major live aboard ops.

For us it is just the long wait until we are spending Christmas in PNG!

Thanks everyone. PeterJ your report makes me want to be there now! The diversonzwebsite has some good descriptions but it is also good to read people's own accounts and hear what stood out for them. MJH I will look seriously at Kavieng. I wish my intended travel was closer than 15 months away..
Alison

I've spent a bit of time on both New Ireland Island and New Britain Island as well as the Witus.
New Ireland doesn't have as many of the seamount type reefs as New Britain. Whatever the weather, you will have the channels to dive. Albatross Channel and Planet ocean are amazing. If the weather cooperates, there are wrecks and reefs all over.
New Britain is chock full of bommies or seamounts. There is a real difference between these two islands. This year I hope to spend a fair amount of time on the northern/eastern areas of New Britain doing some exploratory diving.
Try really hard not to miss the Witus. The weather can make it tough, sometimes. Garove Island has a monster volcanic crater that has one side open to the sea. GREAT muck diving!! Dickie Doyle's place also has great muck. Once you dive muck, you'll love it. Especially if you like little stuff that you will see nowhere else.
I hope you go to PNG. You will do everything you can to go back. I stay there a month every year. Each year the $$ and the time neccessary makes me think it will be my last trip. As soon as I get home, however, I become busy saving for the next trip. Knowing good boat captains there makes it easy.

alijtaylor:
I will look seriously at Kavieng. I wish my intended travel was closer than 15 months away..
Alison

hi alijtaylor,

live-aboards are fine, but if u consider kavieng, another wonderful choice of urs is to stay on lissenung island. i stayed there three years ago and was actually offered job as a diving guide.

it's a very small island, located about 30 minute boat ride from kavieng. u can walk around the whole island about 30 minutes. nice austrian couple, edith and dietmar, runs a cottage and a diving service. their cottage is cozy, quiet, fundamental, and down-to-earth kind, and you will find out what PNG is really like. well, it's definitely different from cabo san lucas in BCS, mexico.

besides, diving there is awsome. you will see many grey reef, white tip and silver tip sharks cruising around you in the wild current. rainbow gobies are everywhere at the depth of only 45 feet!! pigmy seahorses are easy to spot. u drool with fantasies, rite?

it's truly diving experince of ur life time.

ken chung ar

Ali;
Consider spending your first couple of days at Loloata Island, just outside Port Moresby. The diving is great and this will allow you to acclimate to conditions and check out your gear in a place where you can get it repaired or replaced if you have a problem. They will meet your plane and transport you to the (private) island. They can also fill you in on conditions elsewhere throughout PNG before you head onward.

Kavieng and New Ireland are the best for pelagics and big stuff, Milne Bay world-famous for muck diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom