PNG - Baggage Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So let me pose a question as an Ugly American. Does money smooth anything out with Air Nuingini? If we toss some Kinas at them, will our hassles decrease, our luggage actually make it and we might even make our connections? We fly out of Brisbane at 9 am and I'm hoping that having most of the day will play to our favor in arriving at Walindi as scheduled. We're on MV Fabrina and, well, once the boat sails......

Oh that could work.....or it could work like this. You bribe (or attempt to) someone in PNG and you may inadvertently bribe the whole tribe that person belongs to. As said, In PNG anything can happen and nothing is certain. Ive seen the airport closed while an oil company CEO was priority loaded - without a cent changing hands. Ive also seen someone try and bribe a police officer, have their bribe accepted and find half the rest of the underpaid police force waiting for them for more money to leave the country. Chancy game.

Your choice..but remember...you are a long way from home and corruption is endemic.

Holy crap! I'm just talking about tipping at the airport, not weaseling my way into government contracts! :) It's not like I haven't done it elsewhere in the world and, in some places, it's pretty much de rigueur. Oh well, it promises to be an adventure.

"Tipping" at the airport definitely constitutes bribery. Take your risk and suffer.

Best bet, take only the limit permitted by Air Nuigini, we have never had a problem on four trips there from Sydney. But then, I have never attempted to carry the kitchen sink and bathroom with me like some divers try! If you cannot take everything within this limit (30 kg according or prior post) then you are taking too much.

Hey, thanks guys! And just to be clear, I've never actually been convicted of a felony.

Looks like it's back to my trusty large-caliber handgun and aluminum (to save weight) baseball bat!

All right, a bit of thread highjack. Still waiting for my 1am flight to Sorong . My carry-on is way over weight, but no one seems to care. It is Indonesia, laid back and chill... Many passengers have two to three carry-on's, mostly presents, boxes, large rolling boxes, and the list goes on. I am waiting to board, so I can try to sleep.

"Tipping" at the airport definitely constitutes bribery. Take your risk and suffer.

Best bet, take only the limit permitted by Air Nuigini, we have never had a problem on four trips there from Sydney. But then, I have never attempted to carry the kitchen sink and bathroom with me like some divers try! If you cannot take everything within this limit (30 kg according or prior post) then you are taking too much.

You only get 30 kg if you discuss it with Air Nuigini prior to checking in (best at time of booking). If you don't then you will only get a 23 kg allowance. We emailed them after booking and following a convoluted process got 30 kg each check in.

Papua New Guinea is not Indonesia......culturally, legally, financially and customs are a billion years apart. Ive never had Lion Air out of Manado even weigh my luggage......PNG is another story.

So if I were to try to get the 2 DSLR's and all the housings, and lens. And pull out the photographers vest....and get my actual carry on bag down to their alotted weight...most likely, just the housings, and laptop, and ipads would stay in the bags..

do you think this would work for Air Nuigini.....how about getting through the Brisbane airport?
Dustin

I encountered the weight restriction issue in the south pacific before. Easiest/most reliable way to go is to buy enough of the seats on the plane that there's no chance of it being weight restricted. Losing a few rebreathers and sets of camera gear is more expensive than a chartered flight.

Back
Top Bottom