PNG - Madang or Kavieng?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I am finally realizing my dream and traveling to Papua New Guinea in July 2019. Right now my plan is to stay at Walindi 4 nights and then Rapopo Plantation Resort in Rabaul for 5 nights, where I will enjoy the Mask festival as well as diving and a couple of top side activities. I am trying to decide if I should spend my additional week diving in Madang or Kavieng (Lissenung). I am more interested in the big stuff, reefs, and interesting culture rather than wrecks. I’ve ruled out Tufi and Tawali due to flight times/costs. And I can’t afford a live aboard. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Both are great. Kavieng is a lot more remote, so perhaps that may be the decision maker. Both have wrecks, WWII planes and some ships.

FWIW, I think it's worth spending more time at Kimbe Bay. It's been a few years but when I was there, the diving was very good. I've dove Madang but 14 years ago. At the time, the diving was good, but everything I've read about Kavieng would push me to make it there.

Back
Top Bottom