Png

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bob.s:
hey nice shots....I heard that loloatas was worth going to...also want to get up to the highlands and see some native tribes..between the 10 days on the boat and the 5 days travel time i wont have to much vacation time left for all the things i want to do : )

We went to Walindi, then the Star Dancer, then Loloata and we didn't have enough time either. We would have liked to do the Highlands, but there's just a finite amount of money that I have and time is always a factor. We also spent some time in Cairns and a few days in Hawaii. Staying in Hawaii is our favorite thing to do on the way back from Australia otherwise it's such a long ride and the relax time in the US culture is always welcome after a trip to a place like PNG.

I justs heard from someone that was quoted $1200.00 from cairns to hoskins , my travel agent said the fares went up...unbelievable...isnt is only about a 90 minute flight from cairns to port moresby ??

Bob
There is a new airline supposedly running on the route which has lower prices, I'll try to find the info at the weekend and PM it. I think the Febrina site recommends some US based agents which might be worth a try and the Aussie agent I cited in my first post is still quoting something like $A700 for a more complex route and as you will be in Cairns, where they are based why not buy from them?
Alison

Hello Bob, I'm not sure where your flight will originate from, but my travel agent steers me away from OZ as there is supposedly a $100 US tax just for touching down on OZ soil. This may be some of the reason for the higher prices you are being quoted. So unless you have another good reason to pass through there, I would try to use your frequent flier miles to get to Singapore or Tokyo. If you are comming from the west coast US or anywhere East of PNG, the Tokyo option would be shortest and best, other way Singapore. It's the nicest airport I've ever been to. Happy trails-Andy

thanks andy and alison..I was wondering about going a different route like thru singapore...and your right it is a fantastic airport..I'm in california and it seems everyone that i have talked to seems to go thru cairns....with my frequent flyer miles i can go business class to asia for about 90 thousand , but business class to cairns was 125 thousand....so i was definetly thinking about the best way to go..i currently have 100 thousand miles...and since my birthday and christmas is coming up i have told everyone to buy me gift miles on american airlines LOL !!

bob.s:
thanks andy and alison..I was wondering about going a different route like thru singapore...and your right it is a fantastic airport..I'm in california and it seems everyone that i have talked to seems to go thru cairns....with my frequent flyer miles i can go business class to asia for about 90 thousand , but business class to cairns was 125 thousand....so i was definetly thinking about the best way to go..i currently have 100 thousand miles...and since my birthday and christmas is coming up i have told everyone to buy me gift miles on american airlines LOL !!

Hi Bob, just checked the mileage btw La and Singapore-8777. Tokyo LA is 5000 something, definirely shorter by more than a 3rd. I've done the NY-Tokyo-Moresby route, also. It was the shortest of all and the Toyko airport, while not as luxurious as Singapore, is laid out well for transfering-free bus to other terminals, if needed. Unlike the people who operate the airport in Manilla, who apparently don't care what kind of impression they make on inrternational passengers, where you are required to pay a taxi to transfer btw the terminals. I did that route too, a must to avoid.-Andy

Back
Top Bottom