Pockets for my wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with sewing pockets (or knee pads, or any such) is that the area right at the edge of the item that is sewed on takes up most of the flex. This often results in premature failure of the suit right along that seam, even with good rubber like GN-231. I'd do with slip on knee pads and x-shorts.

Here's something to consider. [-]Doesn't look like they are available for sale yet[/-].

Do a search for "Diver's Holsters"

Holsters

upload_0000KE.jpg

You can actually buy them at seavengers.com, got my pair about a month ago and very happy with them. Less than half the cost of the x-shorts:

3mm Divers Holster - IST - Hoods, Vest and Socks - Scuba diving - Seavenger.com

$42.98 ... not bad. What are the effects on overall buoyancy and trim?

Thal,
The move is to put the suit on, then mark where the edges of the pockets are with soap or chalk, and have the cobbler stretch the suit out so it all. This way there isn't stress on the sewn area when you're wearing the suit.

They're only 3 mm so almost nothing esp since they're not full shorts but just a waist band and two straps with the pockets. Very comfortable so far too and quick to put on----you don't have to pull them on and only three velcro straps.

So far I've used them only for an OMS canister to keep my keys in and was able to fit in barely by streching the neoprene a little. We'll see how they hold up for the long run but happy so far.

I use XS-scuba pockets. They have a neoprene back, large size and two compartments inside. I get a case at a time and attach them to every suit I have.

You stretch out the area you want to attach one, cover the edge of the pocket with goop, and then put a weight bag on top of it for a day.

Never had it do anything to the suit, and you cannot get them off, plus, they stretch with the suit. A great $20 solution to the pocket issue.

I paid around $40 for my X-shorts a long time ago. Of course one of the pockets failed on me. It was easily sewn back together though. Darn glad I set them up with a bungee inside and everything clipped off with a double ender (Well accept my Dive Alert uses a bolt snap) or I would have lost some expensive equipment.

If you wanted pockets Dive Sports often has them on sale, although they do not appear to be right now. The link below has installation instructions too. I would just use neoprene cement as I did on my CF200. A couple hundred dives later they are still stuck. If wanted they could be removed and used on another suit though. I did cut all the crap out from the inside of them though to make putting my gear back into them easier.
XS Scuba Wetsuit Drysuit Pocket

I have been diving dry exclusively for a few years now, and have been totally spoiled by having thigh pockets. I dove my wetsuit recently and really missed having them. What are some good options for adding pockets to my suits. Are glue on's the way to go, or would a pair of strap on pockets be better, as I have two wetsuits?

Thanks,
Jim

I love having pockets on my wetsuit. I use the XS Scuba wetsuit pockets and aquaseal. I have a friend that is an industrial seamstress, I want her to sew on my next pair.

In my old suit, before I got a drysuit, I even had a p-valve. I don't like peeing in my wetsuit.

:thumb: Gluing makes the suit's legs too stiff...

I glued 2 pockets on my 3 mil wetsuit and have no problem with the legs being stiff.

I love having pockets on my wetsuit. I use the XS Scuba wetsuit pockets and aquaseal.

XS Scuba pockets for me too. I used black neoprene cement to glue them on. So far 2 dive trips on them with no peeling.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom