Pockets mounted on Pony bottle? bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been solo diving for 50+ years, haven't needed the spare mask and only bought the pony bottle when I was 60 something, for some dive profiles. I only bring the equipment I feel is necessary for the dive. YMMV.

you can go years without air bags and ABS brakes but the fleeting moment you need them...

You sling your pony? If its only for solo diving, it can work.

If you have a backplate, you can use bunges to hold it in place. I can provide a pic of ur interested.

A butt pouch as someone else showed is an option. You just feel for the double ender.

you can go years without air bags and ABS brakes but the fleeting moment you need them...

Or one can go their entire life without them if one takes the proper precautions. My driving predates both, but I did install seat belts on my cars before legally required. ABS brakes can be looked at as a gear solution to a skills problem. There is a lot of equipment on new vehicles required by law.

There is nothing required by law in diving. There are requirements by dive ops if you use them, but, other than that, how one dive gear is chosen by the diver and depends upon their training and risk tolerance.

I started diving with no BC, no SPG, no alternate second, at times no j-valve, and no dive computer, so the training was different than it is now. Risk analysis, judgement, and water skills were emphasized more than equipment, since there wasn't much. When I got into deco diving I used more redundant equipment, but not as much as "required" now. I'm not saying a diver shouldn't wear the gear they want, but there are differences of opinion on necessary gear, and valid reasons for different choices on dives by different divers.

Dive and let dive.

I’ve never used my backup mask either but I still take it every dive. I could do an ow dive and return to the boat without a mask if needed. That doesn’t mean I want to. The op obviously wants to carry a backup mask. It’s part of his emergency preparedness. To suggest don’t bother taking one is silly. You may not see the need for one, but a lot of others do.

You sling your pony? If its only for solo diving, it can work.

If you have a backplate, you can use bunges to hold it in place. I can provide a pic of ur interested.

A butt pouch as someone else showed is an option. You just feel for the double ender.

Oh bungees! How did I forget these.
Yeah a picture would be great!
I do do BPW and have couple of bungee points on my plate.
My main worry is the mask falling out. If you can explain, or show, how you secure it that would be great!

I’ve never used my backup mask either but I still take it every dive. I could do an ow dive and return to the boat without a mask if needed. That doesn’t mean I want to. The op obviously wants to carry a backup mask. It’s part of his emergency preparedness. To suggest don’t bother taking one is silly. You may not see the need for one, but a lot of others do.

I am not making a decision for the OP, just providing a different perspective, it is always his choice.

As far as not taking a spare mask being silly, the vast majority of dives being made worldwide, are made without carrying a spare mask. As far as I know there is no OW training requiring, or reccomending, a spare mask to be carried in training and on every dive, perhaps GUE.

I can see the need for carrying a spare mask on some dive profiles and not on others, it is a decision I make before the dive.

What about dive shorts with pockets?
Not like the APEKS ones which look bulky.
The fifth element (fourth element?) and scuba pro models are low-profile.

I have a pouch attached in the back as well
There are two spools and a DSMB in there, so I wouldn't reach back and fumble - lest one of the spools fall out.

I just disconnect it, bring it front, take out whatever then clip it to my waist band D ring.

Thanks for the perspective.

What kind of connection hardware do you use? Is it quick link or single/double-ended bolt snap?

As for the tech shorts, did look into them, it seems almost all on the market right now are $200 shorts that's just plainly taking advantage of us divers.
(Eg this one from forth element at $200... Fourth Element Technical Shorts )

Oh bungees! How did I forget these.
Yeah a picture would be great!
I do do BPW and have couple of bungee points on my plate.
My main worry is the mask falling out. If you can explain, or show, how you secure it that would be great!

I usually do this with my smb+reel, especially if I know im going to use it. If i dont have pocket space and want to bring a back up mask, I'll do this on the opposite side. Its protected behind the bp and streamlined. No real entanglement hazard. You can do this via the bottom holes at the small of your back as well.

I believe I'm using 6mm bungie and it is pretty secure. The middle of most masks usually is mostly silicon and very little glass so it wedges on the mask pretty well. I have a cover to protect the mask from scratches. I also recommending clipping a double ender for extra security.

20210517_124511.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom