POINTING FINGERS AFTER A DIVER’S DEATH (rant & discussion)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I wrote this for the Reef Seekers August newsletter and post it here for any general comments or discussion. This general issue has bothered me for quite some time and - full disclosure - yes, the tipping point was the reaction to the recent Catalina accident and yes, the boat owner is someone I consider a friend. But the general thought still holds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POINTING FINGERS AFTER A DIVER’S DEATH

I get it that we live in a judgmental society. I get it that as humans, we have a need to understand what the mechanics are when things go wrong and that means we tend to quickly point fingers of blame, but many times point at things that are really blameless.

It seems that any time a diver dies, among the first things people want to know is, “What boat were they on?” My question back is usually, “What difference does it make if the accident happened underwater?” To me, pointing the finger of blame at the mode of transportation makes about as much sense as saying, “They took the 405 in their Ford to get there so the 405 and Ford are responsible for their death.” There’s simply no connection.

I’ve studied literally hundreds of diver death over the years, both through DAN annual reports and individual accidents here in SoCal. I can’t recall a single one where (at least in my professional opinion) the boat was the cause of the accident. Just because a commercial dive boat takes someone somewhere and then an accident happens, it doesn’t make the boat the cause of the accident.

In a non-peer-reviewed study I did years ago of DAN reports, I conclude that 69% of the time, diving deaths are due to diver error, with out of air being a huge factor. So please explain to me what a boat on the surface waiting for divers to return has to do with someone not watching their gauge 50 feet below and sucking their tank dry. I simply don’t see the connection.

The other side of this that regular divers don’t see is that it’s a numbers game. Every boat captain I know feels that some day, it could be their turn to get the careless diver who does something wrong and then it all goes to hell in a handbasket. We know that we average about 5 deaths annually in L.A. County. We know that 3 or 4 of them are going to happen from a boat. We know that 2 or 3 of them will be a commercial dive charter (as opposed to a privately-owned boat). And the point is that the more charters you run, the more likely it is that it will be “your turn” some day.

Here’s an extreme way to look at it. Suppose there was only one charter dive boat in L.A. and that everyone who did a commercial boat dive would then have to dive on that boat. It would stand to reason that, if the death number stayed the same, that boat would account for every one of them. Would that make it a dangerous boat? No. It would simply be the way the numbers played out.

No there are certainly possibilities of boats doing things wrong, the most obvious of which would be running over a diver. In that case, absolutely blame the boat and name it since it would seem like they weren’t pay attention. A few years ago I was asked to be a defense expert in such a case where a boat in Florida ran over and killed a diver. The lawyer who was soliciting me said, “We did a toxicology test on the dead diver and it turns out he was on cocaine at the time of his death.” I replied, “So you’re telling me that the defense you want me to support is that your guy was hopped up on drugs so our guy has a right to run him over? I don’t think so.”

So it’s not that boats or captains or instructors or buddies are always blameless. But that’s usually the case. And it would be nice for once to see the dive community ask questions – they certainly deserve to be answered publicly – but to save the blame game for until all the facts are in and there’s a clearer picture about what actually happened.

End of rant.

Nicely done. Though it seems the facts are hardly ever all in at any point, so those watching along have no way to judge the clarity of the picture they're left with.

Very rarely do I ever see an actual, verified cause of death on the incidents that I read about here. I do see a lot of speculation and suppositions and people exclaiming that if this or that had been done then someone wouldn't have died, even though they don't know the cause of death.

I seldom even read the incident reports any more.

There was a boat in the South Florida area that seems to had more than its share of diving incidents. For example leaving divers at the site clinging to a buoy. There was a case where a female diver died by being over weighted and not having the air turned on. Most boats I have been on for 2 and 3 tank dives the DM checks to make sure the gas is turned on before you jump. Also where was this woman's buddy? I believe there were other incidents too.

Some boats are run solely for profit and care less about diver's qualifications. If you are running a cattle boat and something happens, then is it a numbers game or a sloppy operation?

The buck has to stop somewhere. I personally believe that it stops with me. I make sure I have the right amount of weight, even if the boat crew puts it in my pouches. I always check my air to be turned on, breathe two breaths from each air source and puff some air into my BCD before I enter the water. Either I or my wife tests the gas if we're breathing Nitrox, even if the crew offers. It's nice to have concierge service but I still check up on them since it's me that will have the problem if they make a mistake.

The water is a hostile environment as soon as your head goes under. Forgetting that is how problems creep up on you. Reading about the costly mistakes others have made on this forum is one way to assist in remembering that.

Good post. I imagine it's frustrating for dive op.s because even when the op. is faultless in the case at hand, being named in a 'death scenario' creates an association in people's minds. On the forum I've seen people post incidents but withhold the boat name for that reason, whereas others challenged them to 'name the op.,' as though if the op. were faultless then no harm done. The old saying 'Truth will out' comes into play and likely that name will become public, but it's sad such associations can damage a good op.'s reputation.

I read some accident reports with an eye toward learning from discussions about the type of incident involved, not as though we were an investigation committee to formally determine cause of death. As others have noted before, we seldom get a definitive formal report and even those aren't always going to be complete or right. What we can do is learn.

Some accident discussions are like some movies; 'based on a true story.' How 'based' vs. how much speculation varies. I hope people remain cognizant about the potential for slandering a person or business's reputation.

Richard.

Last edited:
There was a case where a female diver died by being over weighted and not having the air turned on. Most boats I have been on for 2 and 3 tank dives the DM checks to make sure the gas is turned on before you jump. Also where was this woman's buddy?

Without venturing into the particulars of which I have no knowlege, but just making generalisations (and not having a go at you)

Regarding gas not being on, BASIC pre dive checks on yourself, breath both regs watching the SPG - How hard is it for a diver to do? Personally it's the first thing I do when I get my gear on before I consider a buddy check.

I have witnesses a lot of divers both complicit in poor buddy checks. One recent (on his rescue course) jumped in and was underweighted. His buddy check, he'd checked he had his weight pockets in but not that he had put weight in! I meet so many people who've "forgotten" how much they need - they don't bother to write it down. Or they've been told they need XX weight often far too much.

Sure DM's on the boat try to carry out "idiot checks" on divers, but perhaps the rise of the full service boats causes diverts to be complacent expecting everything will be done for them.

If I'm running a boat, I'll get your tanks on and off, I'll keep and eye on you assembling your gear, helping and correcting any mistakes but not doing it for you.

If your in my group I'll watch or conduct your buddy checks (you have no idea how many divers think they are too experienced to need to carry out even the most basic pre dive check).

Depending on your experience (the way you kit up etc) I'll physically check your tank valve and make sure you have air in your BCD before you roll, but I can't do it for a whole boat.

Again you have no idea how many divers don't even want to wait for the all clear before they jump.

Divers must take responsibility for themselves as well as being honest with themselves and the charter about their experience.

The boat leaving divers behind of course is a different matter and inexcusable

Last edited:
NIce post

I can’t recall a single one where (at least in my professional opinion) the boat was the cause of the accident.

Since the ability to thumb a dive is the responsibility of the diver, for a boat to be a primary cause is a high bar.

What about "the boat action was a significant contributer" to the death but not a primary cause? How often, if any, have you seen that?

Does this include actions of DM in the water?

Do you think the situation might be different in other parts of the world.

Pointing fingers is unfortunately done by those left behind (and not involved) after a fatality. Lawsuits follow, the aim is to get as much money out of it as possible. As long is it's possible to sue for enormous amounts of money, and as long as people think that this is normal, it will never change.

E.g. New York employs people who constantly check for uneven pavements and place warnings signs. Since people are not able to use their own eyes and watch where they're walking, they can and will sue the city for massive amounts of money. There are even lawyers specializing in this.
Next thing will probably be a lawsuit against captains for uneven waves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom