Polar bears may get a much needed break

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im a certified polar bear hazer. I worked two years in the north and part of my job was to go out and chase them away fom our activity (preventing an oil spill) so we could continue through the winter without disturbing denning bears. On somehow managed to dig her den 10 feet from the ice road, slept there all winter and brought two healthy cubs out in the spring, totaly undisturbed by our activity.
Unlike most people that talk about helping the environment, I do HAZMAT cleanups and acualy do make a difference, small but still in the right direction.
I don't speak anything second hand without saying that right up front.

well, i don't know crap about polar bears... but isn't chasing them off like that dangerous?

(for you, i mean)

Have you ever looked at the things I do for a living? Mom calls each new job "my latest attempt to kill my self".
It's not bad, they run with the first one or two cracker loads. Never had to use the rubber slugs, and thankfuly never ever the lead ones behind those.
So are you going to retract your BS comment?

Im trying to find my Nanook pics. I think they are all on my old laptop. I was sure I had them stashed somewhere thou. I'll keep looking.

So after much looking Im thinking I read about the Canadians allowing sport hunting due to the increase in bears on the east side. Population est run from 15K to 30K world wide with only 2K of those in the US. No one knows for sure.

Wildcard:
So are you going to retract your BS comment?

oh, sure ... what's a little lawyerspeak between friends?

:eyebrow:

Wildcard:
So after much looking Im thinking I read about the Canadians allowing sport hunting due to the increase in bears on the east side. Population est run from 15K to 30K world wide with only 2K of those in the US. No one knows for sure.

dam fine idea... there's tons of manatees near here at a place called Crystal River ... we could start hunting them too

:popcorn:

First to clarify.

The proposed ESA listing is 1) not legislation and 2) the decision by the Bush administration to protect a marine mammal that his administration believes is threatened with extinction as a result of global climate change. If a species is listed, state and local agencies and organizations work with NOAA or FWS to design a recovery program tailored to local needs (for the people and the the species of concern).

Regarding the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (aka ANWR), it's really not a conspiracy. Sometimes it's just an inconvenient truth.

Wildcard:
Im a certified polar bear hazer.

That's a new one, dangerous and kinda cool. Sounds like a fraternity activity:eyebrow:

Oceana Diver:
First to clarify.

The proposed ESA listing is 1) not legislation and 2) the decision by the Bush administration to protect a marine mammal that his administration believes is threatened with extinction as a result of global climate change. If a species is listed, state and local agencies and organizations work with NOAA or FWS to design a recovery program tailored to local needs (for the people and the the species of concern).

Regarding the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (aka ANWR), it's really not a conspiracy. Sometimes it's just an inconvenient truth.

That's a new one, dangerous and kinda cool. Sounds like a fraternity activity:eyebrow:

Thank Goodness for the Endangered species Act. Richard pombo(Calif ) tried to gut the act and lost his house seat and of course Committee Chair for his efforts

Oceana Diver:
First to clarify.

Hazing training basicly is the FWS folks telling you never to shoot a bear or you will spend two years doing paperwork and having you fire a few cracker loads down range to insure you know which end of the gun is dangerous (that varies from person to person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom