Police divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
Police diving - Wikipedia

I read that the first police diver in Britain was a policeman who was a sport diver; needing to recover a body or evidence from underwater, he did not use a drag but went home and brought his scuba gear. Please do any of you know when and where that was? Any references to it?

Have you heard, anywhere, of diving underwater law enforcers doing anything that may be described as underwater arresting of suspects? I have heard of such things happening in the real world.

Last edited:
Underwater arresting of suspects sounds fairly James Bond-ish. Closest I’ve heard of is car being chased and rescuing driver from submerged car when it’s crashed. Not divers though....

Reader's Digest - Wikipedia
In the Reader's Digest (a magazine) I found an article, seemingly describing reality, many years ago, about French diving sea-police trained to dive on civilian divers, and to arrest them underwater if they were found using spearguns on scuba, or diving in a forbidden area, and how the patrol diver forced the suspect to surface. But how reliable is the Reader's Digest?

Police diving - Wikipedia

I read that the first police diver in Britain was a policeman who was a sport diver; needing to recover a body or evidence from underwater, he did not use a drag but went home and brought his scuba gear. Please do any of you know when and where that was? Any references to it?

Have you heard, anywhere, of diving underwater law enforcers doing anything that may be described as underwater arresting of suspects? I have heard of such things happening in the real world.

Been doing it for 14 years for the Sheriff's Office, and never even heard of this.

There was considerable UW and top side police activity in the genesis of diving

1) There was an article in SDM many years ago --possibly 40=50 years ago about UW detectives

2) During the transition to hand only for the capture of California lobster the late local D&G wardens Bob Twilliger and Bob Dillinger who were friends as well as avid sport divers would dive in some of the local hot spots, observe divers using hooks. They would signal for surfacing display their badge and swim back to shore with them for processing.

3) The big bust was on the wreck of the Winfield Scott which was declared a national historic site and absolutely no touch - no take zone.

There was a charter (as I recall on Glen Millers boat) to the WS. On board was a number of the members of the recently formed California Wreck Divers Club and the usual assortment of sport divers, including a number of federal officers.

After the first dive all the wreck divers held up their loot for pictures and discussion, which was taped recorded. After their "show and tell" the federal officers identified themselves and stated "You are under arrest, take off your equipment stack it in the corner and set over there " and began writing tickets.

As I recall after all these years the fines were rather substantial and all violators were unceremoniously discharged from the club.

4) About 50 years ago LA County Sheriffs department formed their SWAT team. A component of them applied, was accepted and successfully completed the very demanding LA Co UW instructors program which I was one of the instructors . I have remained in occasional contact with many of them but our discussions have been directed towards consumptive diving ..Abalone , Scallops and Spearfishing.

5) About 45 or so years ago I presented classes for both Garden Grove (GG) and Huntington Beach (HB) California police departments.

GG needed officers to do S&R for firearms tossed in various lakes and ponds of the city

HB needed trained officers to do S&R UW off their pier and to recover narcotics tossed over board from boats in their harbor. Originally the officers would be required to run down the gang way to the boat and apprehend the culprits before they could pull a slip knot string releasing their bag on narcotics in to the deep. The officers were not very successful -- Until they had trained SCUBA divers in the water next to the boats waiting for the culprits to pull the string dropping their narcotics into their out stretched arms . The word got around fast in the Narcotic world about the unfairness of the HB police department... ..

Just a little almost unrecorded almost forgotten police diving history that I was either and observer or a participant .

Now you can have a chat with your Chief or be the hit at choir practice

Sam Miller, 111

\
upload_2017-9-28_6-52-0.png

2) During the transition to hand only for the capture of California lobster the late local D&G wardens Bob Twilliger and Bob Dillinger who were friends as well as avid sport divers would dive in some of the local hot spots, observe divers using hooks. They would signal for surfacing display their badge and swim back to shore with them for processing.

3) The big bust was on the wreck of the Winfield Scott which was declared a national historic site and absolutely no touch - no take zone.

There was a charter (as I recall on Glen Millers boat) to the WS. On board was ... including a number of federal officers.

... After their "show and tell" the federal officers identified themselves and stated "You are under arrest, take off your equipment stack it in the corner and set over there " and began writing tickets.

As I recall after all these years the fines were rather substantial and all violators were unceremoniously discharged from the club.

Did either of these also result in diving gear being seized?

HB needed trained officers to do S&R UW off their pier and to recover narcotics tossed over board from boats in their harbor. Originally the officers would be required to run down the gang way to the boat and apprehend the culprits before they could pull a slip knot string releasing their bag on narcotics in to the deep. The officers were not very successful -- Until they had trained SCUBA divers in the water next to the boats waiting for the culprits to pull the string dropping their narcotics into their out stretched arms . The word got around fast in the Narcotic world about the unfairness of the HB police department... ..
Sam Miller, 111
Likely the next steps are: the men dropping the narcotics start looking for scuba bubbles, then the police divers start using bubble-less rebreathers.

Only in America would a criminal be released because an Officer didn't advise him of his Miranda rights prior to an under water arrest.

James Bond-ish indeed!

1) There was an article in SDM many years ago --possibly 40=50 years ago about UW detectives

Note this for all who say "there are no scuba police"

j/k, but this is very interesting. So difficult to police UW, but these guys did it. Although I will concede that they probably didnt cite folks for exceeding their training limits.

Check your history
All events on my post occurred before Miranda

A long time ago ...possibly before you were hatched and certainly before you were a "diver"

sdm

I'm in that dash (40-50) but it was definitely before I was a diver.

Back
Top Bottom