Poling/Nina T

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have an approximate distance and heading from the Poling stern to the Nina T?

Any help would be appreciated.
Hello. Wow.....A lot of post on S.B. in regard to New England. You guys/gals are making me homesick.
The Nina T is Southwest of the Chester Poling.
42° 34′ 7.98″ N, 70° 40′ 31.32″ W
Cheers.

Those numbers are incorrect. That is 34ft of water. I know where the Poling is. I'm more so looking for a compass heading/distance.

Those numbers are incorrect. That is 34ft of water. I know where the Poling is. I'm more so looking for a compass heading/distance.
Your'e a Divemaster? :coffee: I'm not sure where your getting 34 ft? The Nina T has a max depth of 105 fsw at High tide. Sorry, just trying to be helpful.
Cheers.

I was referring to the coordinates you gave. Those numbers are incorrect for both the poling/Nina t. They correspond to 34ft of water.

I have the real numbers for the Poling. Which lies in 94ft of water. So I am sure I know what I am talking about. Just to prove my point. Here is a screen shot of the numbers you referred.

Screenshot_20200708-231433_Boating HD.jpg

As you can see they are not even close to correct. I am looking for a distance and compass heading for the Nina T. Southwest gives me a general area. But I am looking for something more precise. I know it's roughly 600ft. So if I scooter over that distance and I am 10 degrees off I will miss it. The visibility isn't that great.

Hello. Enclosed are the original numbers...42° 34′ 7.98″ N, 70° 40′ 31.32″ W
Bear in mind, I am not the sites Webmaster so an inaccuracy would not be my blame. Here is (Different.) information.
Chester Poling stern, Lat/Lon: 42-34-25N/70-40-15W; Nina T, Lat/Lon: 42-34.133N/70-40.522W Most of the websites had a slight variance whether it was Long/Lat or Loran C
Hunting New England Shipwrecks Please, don't kill the messenger
I am extremely familiar with this area. I have over a hundred dives on the Poling stern, and 14 dives on the bow. I have actually done the stern as a shore dive from Eastern point (if, you can believe it?) Probably 35 dives on the Nina T. It is recommended to use a line on the Nina T because the wreck is so badly damaged, and the visibility is absolutely poor. Looking at your O.P. and the replies no one would know you were attempting this with a scooter, and you seem to know where the wrecks are, and the distance. The Poling always has a buoy on it, and the Nina T as well. You could probably see one from the other with binoculars. Although primarily a land navigation method....You could probably shoot an azimuth from one buoy to another, or use the boat to go from one to another minding your compass.
So, ultimately are you looking for a diver that has gone from the Poling "Underwater" to the Nina T? I'd be a little surprised if anyone has. If, so, at what part of the wreck did they leave from, the break in the hull, the aft section, or the home of the resident "Wolf Eel." (Which, I actually believe is facing the Nina T) and then documented their excursion with headings, Etc? I know this sounds a little sly...because 'It is."
If, you undertake this mission....Please, keep a detailed record for future use.
Again, I was only trying to help you.
Cheers.
Nina T Alpha.jpg
Originally Sent.jpg

It seems like quite an endeavor.

I have the real numbers for the Poling. Which lies in 94ft of water. So I am sure I know what I am talking about. Just to prove my point. Here is a screen shot of the numbers you referred.

Hi,

Ultimately, I don't know if the coordinates provided to you by @Boston Breakwater are correct, but the ones you input in your mapping software are not the ones he gave you.
If you want to transfer them to decimal notation, they would approximately be:
42.568883, -70.675367

Putting those in a basic free marine map I could find online indicates a depth of 90+ ft, and could well be accurate.
When you wrote the coordinates, you wrote down the seconds as if they were the decimal point of the minutes...
Expressing in degrees and minutes as you did, this would be:
42 deg 34.133' N , 70 deg 40.522' W

I was referring to the coordinates you gave. Those numbers are incorrect for both the poling/Nina t. They correspond to 34ft of water.

View attachment 596982

As you can see they are not even close to correct. I am looking for a distance and compass heading for the Nina T. Southwest gives me a general area. But I am looking for something more precise. I know it's roughly 600ft. So if I scooter over that distance and I am 10 degrees off I will miss it. The visibility isn't that great.

You need to convert minutes/seconds to minutes/decimal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom