Poll Drysuit Material

What Drysuit material do you recommend, TriLaminate or Neoprene

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZeroG

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm about to by my first drysuit. Not sure what material most divers prefer after reading all the threads.

I have both. I prefer the crushed neoprene for the diving I do but you might not. Trilam has its advantages. It's lighter and dries much faster. Crushed neoprene has other advantages. It's very hard to put holes in underwater and stretches a bit, offering more freedom of movement. Trilam also tells you when you need more air in the suit, with some authority, while CN just hugs you like a wet suit, making it less obvious that you need to add air to let the insulation loft so you stay warm. CN is also a bit warmer than Trilam but the difference is a lot less than the difference between a wet suit and any dry suit.

Try to try both before you buy and think about what use you plan for the suit before choosing. Like many things in diving there is more than one "right answer."

I have both. I prefer the crushed neoprene for the diving I do but you might not. Trilam has its advantages. It's lighter and dries much faster. Crushed neoprene has other advantages. It's very hard to put holes in underwater and stretches a bit, offering more freedom of movement. Trilam also tells you when you need more air in the suit, with some authority, while CN just hugs you like a wet suit, making it less obvious that you need to add air to let the insulation loft so you stay warm. CN is also a bit warmer than Trilam but the difference is a lot less than the difference between a wet suit and any dry suit.

Try to try both before you buy and think about what use you plan for the suit before choosing. Like many things in diving there is more than one "right answer."

What he said. I find CN seems have less resistance. Additional you need to be able to reach your valves (assuming doubles) and the CN thickness stacked with a thick undergarment can be difficult. I dive my bag suit with a thick undergarment and CN with a thin garment. Head to the shop on Cannery row and rent one of each and couple different undergarments and go fly'em. Jump on a boat the next day and see how it works to live with. Argon seems to be warmer and seems to work better if one purge the air out of it first.

Thanks to everyone that responded, and took the poll. It really helped me, and I'm sure other divers new to drysuits.

Sharing experience and getting advice from other divers is the best part of ScubaBoard. Everyone benefits, its awesome.

In case anyone is interested, I ordered my Drysuit, and I'm getting a DUI FLX Extreme TriLaminate.

Thanks to everyone that responded, and took the poll. It really helped me, and I'm sure other divers new to drysuits.

Sharing experience and getting advice from other divers is the best part of ScubaBoard. Everyone benefits, its awesome.

In case anyone is interested, I ordered my Drysuit, and I'mgetting a DUI FLX Extreme TriLaminate.

That's a very nice choice, congrats!

Heck yeah, man! I just ordered my first drysuit yesterday, as well. I also ordered a Seaskin trilaminate. I am excited about diving into some crazy cold water!

Back
Top Bottom