Poll: How you use your Teric (and more) ...

How you use your Teric (and more) ...

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I did that then I would capture a wider range of divers, like you, as opposed to knowing how many 'harder-core' Tec orientated divers might have been drawn towards the Teric.

The thing is, I suspect that many or most of even the most hard-core tech divers may do at least one non-tech dive for every actual tech dive they do. For testing/tweaking/tuning, practice, as a work-up dive, or whatever. So, even for them, the term "mostly tech dives" would not apply (presuming they use a Teric for all their dives).

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are plenty of tech divers out there for whom better than 50% of their dives are actual technical dives. But, I have a feeling there are also a LOT of "hardcore" tech divers who still do at least 50% of their actual dives as non-technical dives.

No big deal. All I'm trying to say is that I'm not SURE if that particular poll option is capturing what you were hoping to really capture with it.

All that said, I suspect the bigger issue with penetration into the tech community is that the Teric just hasn't been out long enough yet. If someone is a hardcore tech diver, that probably means they have been doing it for at least a little while. So, they probably already had whatever computers they needed before the Teric came out. I can see tech divers of all types potentially buying a Teric when they need a new computer. But, I don't see many tech divers replacing a working Predator, Perdix, or Petrel with a Teric. I only got my first one as a replacement for my Seabear that broke. And my second one because I got it at shop employee cost which worked out to net zero for me after selling my Perdix AI.

The thing is, I suspect that many or most of even the most hard-core tech divers may do at least one non-tech dive for every actual tech dive they do. For testing/tweaking/tuning, practice, as a work-up dive, or whatever. So, even for them, the term "mostly tech dives" would not apply (presuming they use a Teric for all their dives).

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are plenty of tech divers out there for whom better than 50% of their dives are actual technical dives. But, I have a feeling there are also a LOT of "hardcore" tech divers who still do at least 50% of their actual dives as non-technical dives.

No big deal. All I'm trying to say is that I'm not SURE if that particular poll option is capturing what you were hoping to really capture with it.

All that said, I suspect the bigger issue with penetration into the tech community is that the Teric just hasn't been out long enough yet. If someone is a hardcore tech diver, that probably means they have been doing it for at least a little while. So, they probably already had whatever computers they needed before the Teric came out. I can see tech divers of all types potentially buying a Teric when they need a new computer. But, I don't see many tech divers replacing a working Predator, Perdix, or Petrel with a Teric. I only got my first one as a replacement for my Seabear that broke. And my second one because I got it at shop employee cost which worked out to net zero for me after selling my Perdix AI.

Yes I suspect you're correct but with a 'one-dimensional' polling question it's hard to create an appropriately dependent and granular question :)

... and with a few bumps due to comments that field finally got a vote!

Thanks to those that participated.

I guess the poll more or less came in as expected?

It did raise a couple of things for me; $ - many divers willing to pay a decent proportion of their gear's total cost on a dive computer, and on the other hand, divers spending a decent amount of $ on their gear.

The other thing for me was perhaps not being lazy and leaving the screen on max brightness, but as I generally don't use it as a watch I'm not sure if that would affect the battery much.

hello fellow Teric lovers! does it support NATO strap?

hello fellow Teric lovers! does it support NATO strap?

Yes. The problem is finding somewhere that has a 22mm NATO strap in stock that is long enough. The standard ones won't fit over a drysuit sleeve and can be tough to even fit over a 5mm wetsuit sleeve.

I have two Shearwater Petrels for tech diving. I chose never leave from Shearwater brand.

Reactions: Jay
I broke down and bought a Teric. Got it last week and dove with it on Sunday. All I can say is WOW. I was a little concerned that the display would be to small for aging eyes, but was put at ease by video I saw of Teric with big font next to Perdix underwater, font size was very comparable. After getting it and using it the fear was totally unjustified, even on small fonts the display is incredibly easy to read due to the high contrast. The menus are extremely easy to navigate. Even the new Shearwater cloud is easy to use. Could not be happier, looking forward to using this computer for the next 10 years!

Love my Teric, superior in every way.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-16-at-9-50-17-PM.png

25 minute u checka da air ok? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom