Pompano beach shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steven896s

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know any good spots to shore dive here i am going down there for four days wanted to scuba a couple days and if i dont need a charter it would be great and could i spear fish from the shore thanks

I have dove off Datura Ave, Lauderdale-by-the-sea and NE 21st Ft Lauderdale.

Do the 6th Street Reef off Pompano. I'd leave the spear at home and bring the snare and catch bag. It's a good place for bugs. License and stamp needed.

This is also going to be my first dive do i need a wetsuit or is there anything more comfortable since the water should be pretty warm ill be there mid august

This is also going to be my first dive do i need a wetsuit or is there anything more comfortable since the water should be pretty warm ill be there mid august

Hey Steve,

I live in Deerfield Beach (one highway exit north of Pompano).

For my last four beach dives (July 11, 25, 28, 29), The water temp ranged from 84-86 degrees. I dive in boardshorts and a rashguard and it's perfect. Also, one of those dives was a night dive!

No wetsuit for me in the summer.

If this is going to be your first dive in the area, hook up with some of the beach divers from the Gold Coast Scuba Meetup Group and go with them. They're pretty familiar with the reefs offshore.

Also, if you're switching from cold water to warm water, enjoy leaving the wetsuit behind. You might think about tweaking your weighting to adapt for less bouyancy...which might mean less weight to carry across the beach and into the water...

Just sayin'

I have had good dives entering the beach off any of the streets within a mile or so south of Atlantic Blvd in Pompano. Just look out...the best part of the reef is the dropoff, at the tiny white buoys you see way out there (you may also see boats moored to them). Its a solid 30 min surface swim to the buoys. I say its the best shore dive in the area, farthest swim though. There is reef closer in before the buoys but in my opnion not as nice. For an easier dive try datura ave, just south of Commercial blvd in lauderdale by the sea. They have the buoys marking the dropoff there too, but there's nicer reef closer in as well.

I have had good dives entering the beach off any of the streets within a mile or so south of Atlantic Blvd in Pompano. Just look out...the best part of the reef is the dropoff, at the tiny white buoys you see way out there (you may also see boats moored to them). Its a solid 30 min surface swim to the buoys. I say its the best shore dive in the area, farthest swim though. There is reef closer in before the buoys but in my opnion not as nice. For an easier dive try datura ave, just south of Commercial blvd in lauderdale by the sea. They have the buoys marking the dropoff there too, but there's nicer reef closer in as well.

We just returned from there, were told by Gold Coast Scuba that the white buoy is no longer out there. We found the anchor to start the trail but went off in a different direction for the rest of the trail. Parking is a pain, just bring lots of quarters for the meters. Not sure if you can back up there at Datura Ave and unload or not??? Which would make things easier. We did not dive there, just snorkeled, saw 2 cuttlefish. Wanted to dive but schedule got messed up with my car being broken into at Hollywood Beach area. Word to the wise, DO NOT leave anything in your car that may look good to thieves. Park in a very public area, well seen area. As there were 3 cars broken into while at the beach. Cops told me this is a big problem there. Other than that, I would try to do Blue Heron Bridge and Lauderdale by the sea.

Have fun!!

I'm not positive on the commercial ave buoys...I have gone diving there the past few years and only in the past month or so did I notice white buoys way out there (can anyone confirm if these are new??), basically just like the ones at pompano. I know there's a dropoff out there because buddies have swam out to it before, and I was assuming the buoys marked it as they do the pompano dropoff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom