Pony as regular equipment for all dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark that makes alot of sense,

and Yes i did quote an above poster, sorry I am pretty new to SB

It was my post - click the "reply" and it will open a dialogue box with the other post in it - like this one.

I liked Bob's response - if you are currently using a long hose and backlaced backup then the logical path is to move to doubles (manifolded or independent). If you are not yet ready to dive solo then you are giving yourself a problem now that you will never have in the future. When you go the solo route all you need is the new tank configuration and you have the answer. Meantime your choice of gear is OK and you are getting experience with it. I also like Mark's response in terms of a bailout bottle. The side slung option is good and works well with a backpack and wing. It's part of the standard gear if you go the decompression route and use a high O2 gas to speed up deco. All kit you will need and find good use for.

The big problem with back mounted "pony" systems is the xmas tree of regulators. The long hose primary donate system gets round that. For solo diving the buddy issue goes away and with it the confusion of multiple 2nd stages. Different (solo) dives have different issues and you will think about each one and kit and dive accordingly. Only you can make that decision at that time. Right now you must think about your buddy, both as your redundant gas source and as a redundant gas source to them. Your choice of kit does that. Asking the question shows you are thinking about it. This is all good. I am sure you will make a very good diver as you progress.

I'm a California diver (not great vis, currents/surge, and relatively cold) who half the time must dive with insta-buddies. I carry a 6 cu ft pony as part of my risk management plan with diving. It's small enough that it's easy to carry. I simply like the redundancy. I've heard the arguments against it, but for me, most of them do not apply. ... But it was there in case something that was out of my control occured. Fortunately, I never needed it, and hopefully I'll never need the pony when diving. But I'm glad it's there!

+1. I dive solo, sans instabuddies, which I consider much safer, as it's remote that another diver is going to drag me into their disaster. A 6cf is more than fine for the diving I do. I maintain all my own equipment so I am sure it is done to perfection (would you allow someone else to pack a parachute for you?). I might be OCD on this point but I like to be sure. I also plan to never need it - but it's there to get me to the surface alive if a Seahunt villian comes up and cuts my hose.

It was my post - click the "reply" and it will open a dialogue box with the other post in it - like this one.

I liked Bob's response - if you are currently using a long hose and backlaced backup then the logical path is to move to doubles (manifolded or independent). If you are not yet ready to dive solo then you are giving yourself a problem now that you will never have in the future. When you go the solo route all you need is the new tank configuration and you have the answer. Meantime your choice of gear is OK and you are getting experience with it. I also like Mark's response in terms of a bailout bottle. The side slung option is good and works well with a backpack and wing. It's part of the standard gear if you go the decompression route and use a high O2 gas to speed up deco. All kit you will need and find good use for.

The big problem with back mounted "pony" systems is the xmas tree of regulators. The long hose primary donate system gets round that. For solo diving the buddy issue goes away and with it the confusion of multiple 2nd stages. Different (solo) dives have different issues and you will think about each one and kit and dive accordingly. Only you can make that decision at that time. Right now you must think about your buddy, both as your redundant gas source and as a redundant gas source to them. Your choice of kit does that. Asking the question shows you are thinking about it. This is all good. I am sure you will make a very good diver as you progress.

Thank you for a reply

Yes Doubles is on my list but rihgt now my next logical step in gear purchases is a single tank, and dry suit once I relocate somewhere less land locked. I personally just like to research and get as many opinions so when I do buy gear it can be flexible, I was thinking and HP 130 steel tank, but maybe now I might just get an HP 100 so that when I move to doubles its one less tank to buy....

Yes Doubles is on my list but rihgt now my next logical step in gear purchases is a single tank, and dry suit once I relocate somewhere less land locked. I personally just like to research and get as many opinions so when I do buy gear it can be flexible, I was thinking and HP 130 steel tank, but maybe now I might just get an HP 100 so that when I move to doubles its one less tank to buy....

I am in Europe so I can't say what the situation is on tanks in Canada. One thing though is that there is generally a good secondhand market in tanks (everywhere) and it is more trouble than it is worth in my view to convert single tanks into manifolded doubles that you can buy ready done.

My wife likes and dives with 7L doubles - a bit bigger than 40cu ft (she has a 40' deco tank) These are very nice and cover all the bases. Not sure what is available in your part of the world but do have a look at small tank doubles as an option. They are more expensive to test but trim out nicely and will give you the redundancy option. You can add weight to the backpack/wing (look at V weights). Lots of options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom