Pony bottle ascent schedule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really?

Inexplicably going OOG at 130' wouldn't cause you to want to take some time to stop and rethink... SOMETHING... before diving again?

:cool2:

First the "how big" post and now this. You really aren't reading the OP very closely, are you?

It isn't inexplicable. Neptune destroyed his cylinder.

You're not dead. But you're pretty close. I get a PPO2 of 1.54 at 130'. Well beyond the MOD.

Why does everybody think this? It's nonsense. One breath of Nitrox at depth below the MOD is not going to kill you. Not even close. Besides, he's going to his pony. He's going to be below the MOD for about 5 seconds. Not nearly enough to bring on OxTox.

I can't figure out why everyone make such a big deal out of "What's in your pony?" It doesn't matter (unless it's a stage bottle, which isn't a "pony"). Going to pony = head up now. MOD isn't a huge concern here.

-Charles

Why does everybody think this? It's nonsense. One breath of Nitrox at depth below the MOD is not going to kill you. Not even close. Besides, he's going to his pony. He's going to be below the MOD for about 5 seconds. Not nearly enough to bring on OxTox.

I can't figure out why everyone make such a big deal out of "What's in your pony?" It doesn't matter (unless it's a stage bottle, which isn't a "pony"). Going to pony = head up now. MOD isn't a huge concern here.

-Charles

Drama is fun!

-Charles

Not everyone... I don't, and I don't have air in my pony either.

-Charles

No, he's not taking one breath below a MOD. His post clearly states he's "diving along" at 130' on 32%. Read. And no one said anything about toxing below a MOD. At 130' (and a PPO2 of 1.5+) he's well beyond the MOD. What I was implying is that he's pretty close to hitting 1.6 or better and who really wants to do that during the working portion of a dive? I'm certainly not taking that chance.

I stated he was well below the MOD as a matter of obvious fact. I made light of it because in the real world you would be what we like to call r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d. It's poor planning.

:eek:fftopic:

Well then, that's not "inexplicable" is it?

:D

If you read the post nothing is inexplicable is it? :D

Skimfisher,

This is what you said:

You're not dead. But you're pretty close.

No, he's not dead and no, he's not close either. He's not going to stay at the depth long enough for that PPO2 to matter.

-Charles

Well, first of all the OP said he realises 32% wasn't a good choice for his hypothetical scenario so we don't need to beat him up over it but I am curious if Charles realises the OP said he had chosen 32% as his bottom mix and 21% as his bailout mix. Are you say that planning a dive to 130' with 32% is "safe"? How long would you stay at that depth with that mix?

Well, first of all the OP said he realises 32% wasn't a good choice for his hypothetical scenario so we don't need to beat him up over it but I am curious if Charles realises the OP said he had chosen 32% as his bottom mix and 21% as his bailout mix. Are you say that planning a dive to 130' with 32% is "safe"? How long would you stay at that depth with that mix?

I'm sure his point is that he wouldn't plan it that way but to say that someone who finds themselves at 130 fsw on 32% will be dead is a bit much...wouldn't you agree :)

To OP.

Neptune visits, bail to Pony; do the fastest safe ascend to safety stop and hang for a few minutes, maybe add a few more than normally. That should do it.

The rest here (MOD, fills etc) is somewhat irrelevant in this hypothetical scenario.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom