• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Pony bottle assisted snorkeling/diving

Discussion in 'Snorkeling / Freediving' started by Lims, May 23, 2009.

1. MichiganScott

MichiganScott Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Excelent point/question!

2. Lims

Lims Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    safety stops? assending from 6 to 10 meters? really?

3. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

It all depends on what level of risk you're willing to assume. If you read the article I posted previously (quoted below) and you're comfortable with doing that, it's your decision.

A lot of factors will play into the degree of danger present from this, including the number of ascents/descents you do in a given time, the length you're on the bottom, your ascent rate, whether you're properly hydrated, tired and your own unique physiology.

Keep in mind, diving physiology is sometimes more art than science. There are people that dive recklessly and outside the recommended NDL's and guidelines all the time with no ill consequences. On the other hand, there have been reported incidents of DCS in instructors performing CESA's with a class and "undeserved hits" of people that seemingly did everything right.

You may never have a problem. You should just be aware that the potential is there and dive accordingly.

4. scallop man

scallop man Garibaldi

hiya,

I'm very interested in this topic as I've done something similar for over 12 years in fresh water rivers using a hookah (clean air diaphram system). All shallow stuff, max 6m worst scenario. Bounce dives as you would call it to the river bed. I also enjoy snorkelling in the sea too. I got my BSAC in the 80's and have always had a 'toe in the water' at some stage.

There seems to be a split of opinion that you can use air for your shallow water snorkelling. Can I contribute please; assuming you are just popping down to a few metres and never getting anywhere near 9m and beyond. It is also assumed that the 'snorkeller' is a trained diver and knows the fundamentals and science of diving.

If you were to look at this issue as 'how to SCUBA dive with a smaller tank' as suggested. And again, let's work on 4/5m max, picking up bugs and shellfish, etc.

Can anyone here give me the definitive PADI or US Navy Divers figures for no decompression limit times for 3/4/5m on air?

While any form of SCUBA is potentially dangerous, I'd say heading down to 20m with full gear, V's a few hours fun snorkelling and the air assisted aspect as an add-on bonus is far safer. Diving is risky, but it doesn't stop millions from enjoying the hobby, even with it's risks, certain death! Surely we can't just say 'don't do it' without backing up the pure science. Perhaps the truth is because it is a slightly unorthodox approach, it get's poo pooed.

I'm a great believer in 110% safety, but we need to stick to accurate and consistent facts about diving. So, from 3m to 9.1m, would anyone care to provide the accurate figures and info on disolved nitrogen at these depths? Why does the PADI chart start at 10m, what's up with 3m to 10m, too shallow, not enough info or low risk?

Some of this snorkelling is done in water no deeper than the deep end of a pool, does anyone pay any attention when we're in the pool, na, too shallow init.

There will be a safe way to do this air assisted for sure, it ain't that bad surely folks. I'm still alive!

incoming fire for sure :)

5. smile47

smile47 Angel Fish

# of Dives:
    I think TEAMCASA is right,I wouldnt mix the two.

6. jjtrin

jjtrin Guest

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I tried this in the summer. (snorkeling with the intention of using the pony only to descend to take a closer look at something) I attached the pony to a full size back pack and bought a simple BC. It worked great because of not a lot of stuff to drag to the water. The problem was that the visibility in the Delaware bay was only a few feet.

I do agree it can be very dangerous mixing breath holding with taking a breath from the pony bottle.DO ONE AT A TIME.

7. LeadTurn_SD

LeadTurn_SD Solo Diver

Hi Lims,

I think treating the dive as a scuba dive once you've breathed compressed air is the prudent thing to do, especially if you'll be going from the surface to depth to the surface repeatedly. As mentioned, instructors have gotten bent in shallow water conducting CESA drills with classes. So what I think is being recommeded is using good judgement and perform a normal slow "scuba" ascent if you breath compressed air at any point during the dive.

Also prudent is a rest interval on the surface if you are mixing freediving and brief scuba use, because:

If you develop your freediving skills to an advanced enough level, you can in fact get bent without breathing compressed air at all :shocked2: (This has been documented for many years, especially in the South Pacific, and seems to require deep, repetitive free dives with too-short rest intervals, which is beyond the abilities of most casual "snorkelers", but within the abilities of many skilled free divers/spearfishermen).

Best wishes.