Pony Bottle Fill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscan1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Where can I get a pony bottle filled once arriving at San Pedro?

At the dive op where you rent your main tanks?

At the dive op where you rent your main tanks?
I realize that's the obvious answer, but seeing how I'm being picked up at my hotel dock the morning of the first dive, and the boat doesn't have a compressor, and I don't have a transfer whip, I was more looking for a fully equipped shop by the terminal, etc, and also seeing how I get in in the early evening (highly unlikely) but any with evening hours?

Good idea, but failing that- maybe just be a risk taker on the first day and dive without.

Have them take it back and fill it for you for use on day #2?

Doesn't it have to be inspected prior to filling since you'll remove the valve for TSA inspection anyway?

I doubt you'll find someone willing/able to do both later in the afternoon.

Good idea, but failing that- maybe just be a risk taker on the first day and dive without.

Have them take it back and fill it for you for use on day #2?

again, another insightful post! Thanks I never would have thought of this! (Pretty much exactly my plan if I can't get it filled upon arrival) as for your risk taker suggestion, I'll dive my way, you dive yours :wink:

---------- Post added May 9th, 2015 at 04:40 PM ----------

Doesn't it have to be inspected prior to filling since you'll remove the valve for TSA inspection anyway?

I doubt you'll find someone willing/able to do both later in the afternoon.

ive traveled with it a bunch, and have not had any issues, and only once had to Vis it upon return at a dive shop in the U.S.

Amigos Del Mar has their compressor on the dock. They do the fills for most of the shops on the island. NONE of the tanks in Belize have a visual inspection sticker.

All of the diving in Belize is fully guided. One way they enforce this is by making fills hard to come by. But Amigos del Mar will probably be open until 5 or 6. You can probably leave the tank there overnight, and pick it up in the morning if they cannot fill it for you immediately. Depending on where you are staying, you can just walk over to Amigos and get your tank after the morning dive or even before it. Amigos opens very early most mornings.

In a couple hundred dives from San Pedro, I have never seen anyone with a pony, not even one, not even a spare air. My message is do not be surprised if you get a lot of funny looks while trying to get it filled and diving with it. If you are mounting it to your main tank expect for the boat crew to be confused and maybe even not willing to deal with it. The only technical shop in the country is on Caye Caulker. Most locals would view a pony as being technical.

Have a fun trip.

Amigos Del Mar has their compressor on the dock. They do the fills for most of the shops on the island. NONE of the tanks in Belize have a visual inspection sticker.

All of the diving in Belize is fully guided. One way they enforce this is by making fills hard to come by. But Amigos del Mar will probably be open until 5 or 6. You can probably leave the tank there overnight, and pick it up in the morning if they cannot fill it for you immediately. Depending on where you are staying, you can just walk over to Amigos and get your tank after the morning dive or even before it. Amigos opens very early most mornings.

In a couple hundred dives from San Pedro, I have never seen anyone with a pony, not even one, not even a spare air. My message is do not be surprised if you get a lot of funny looks while trying to get it filled and diving with it. If you are mounting it to your main tank expect for the boat crew to be confused and maybe even not willing to deal with it. The only technical shop in the country is on Caye Caulker. Most locals would view a pony as being technical.

Have a fun trip.
Think I'm going to just go the easier softer way and leave it at home! The dive shop im using said if I brought a whip they'd fill it from a tank, but think I'm just going to go without

---------- Post added May 13th, 2015 at 02:41 PM ----------

Think I'm going to just go the easier softer way and leave it at home! The dive shop im using said if I brought a whip they'd fill it from a tank, but think I'm just going to go without

Just an FYI for anyone else that might want the info for the future. I contacted Amigos Del mar, and they said they'd be happy to fill it as long as it has a current hydro

NONE of the tanks in Belize have a visual inspection sticker.

Wrong!!!!!! You are telling everyone more than you know!

Every one of our tanks at Splash Dive Center has a visual inspection sticker. We do the visuals every year.
We fill tanks for another dive operator whenever they have compressor problems - those tanks all have visual inspection stickers.

Regards
Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom