Pony Bottle / Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking about buying the 3cu. ft. model of "spare air" but would like to know what other divers think about it. Is 3 cu. ft. anywhere near enough air in a OOA situation factoring in the panic factor, I guess some air is better than none.

do a search here------you gunna find VOLUMES of info on it-------short answer, no..........but you can read the dissertations for yourself......

A Spare Air is better than nothing, a pony bottle is better than a Spare Air..no less than 19 cf for most types of recreational diving.

For the amount you spend on SpareAir, get yourself a pony bottle. But then again, I wouldn't totally dismiss the SpareAir, because it can give you that extra breath or two even in panic situation to reach for your buddy or to do an emergency ascent.

i guess if you do know its limitations it could be of some v limited use.
but if you dont, could be life threatening

And I accept that you may be right, but for now I do think what a fool I would feel like if my last living thought was "wish I had a few extra breaths of air" :coffee:

Glad you did not take offence.

It's just that from your avaliable persona I figured you were pretty knowlegable in the world of dangerous sports and personal risk. I assumed a person such as you would take the sport of diving to an acomplished place.

And that place is where you will find the Spare Air (and often the "pony bottle") within the realm of people who think placing after-market stickers and chrome bits on their bikes and cars make the vehicles "more awesome".

And that's a silly place afterall.

Enjoy diving.

And that place is where you will find the Spare Air (and often the "pony bottle") within the realm of people who think placing after-market stickers and chrome bits on their bikes and cars make the vehicles "more awesome".

A Spare Air is a functional piece of gear, unlike the "stickers" and "chrome bits" it is not just for show.

Just bring a dive knife. Then you can just take your "buddy's" air any time you want.

A Spare Air is a functional piece of gear, unlike the "stickers" and "chrome bits" it is not just for show.

Actually I got paid for every sticker on my bike. The right stickers with a podium finish in the right race can be worth thousands $. So for me, stickers were quite functional. Just saying.... :D

Actually I got paid for every sticker on my bike. The right stickers with a podium finish in the right race can be worth thousands $. So for me, stickers were quite functional. Just saying.... :D

The stickers were for sponsors...and got you some advertising revenue. That makes them "useful" but not "functional" in terms of making the car run better or safer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom