Pony bottle travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @JimBlay

Have you used these in checked bags and know that the TSA will unscrew the plug for inspection? I would be confident that they would work for carry on. I like the plugs.

I have not. Great question though! I’ve never flown with a cylinder but always use these to protect my tank if it won’t have a valve.

I have not. Great question though! I’ve never flown with a cylinder but always use these to protect my tank if it won’t have a valve.
Clearly, TSA will not unscrew a valve assembly to inspect the cylinder, even if it loose. I have had several experiences with TSA that have demonstrated their inability or unwillingness to be flexible. I would be somewhat fearful that the nice, screw in plug, would exceed their bounds. As it says on the bottom of the TSA information I posted, "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint"

Has anyone used one of these screw in plugs for either a checked or carry on cylinder?

Clearly, TSA will not unscrew a valve assembly to inspect the cylinder, even if it loose. I have had several experiences with TSA that have demonstrated their inability or unwillingness to be flexible. I would be somewhat fearful that the nice, screw in plug, would exceed their bounds. As it says on the bottom of the TSA information I posted, "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint"

Has anyone used one of these screw in plugs for either a checked or carry on cylinder?

The sandwich bag and elastic band shows TSA the tank can't hold pressure and is completely empty.
A screw in plug indicates the possibility of a compressed, unknown gas or a volatile fluid.
I would EXPECT to have it confiscated using a plug.

You guys gotta do what you gotta do. Your arguments make sense. I’ve not flown with a pony nor do I intend to. I was just surprised you were using a plastic bag but I can see why. Gotta assume the lowest bar possible with TSA.

Removing the valve with pressure in the tank will ruin the threads and potentially kill you.
Drain first, had to be said...

Wait, what?? You're supposed to drain the tank before removing the valve?!

No wonder I always have so much trouble getting the freaking think off of there.

No wonder I always have so much trouble getting the freaking think off of there.
If you give it a good rap to loosen it and once you find it, it will be much easier to unscrew.

Do you ever have a problem removing and replacing the cylinder valve?

I have had the dive op tighten the valve more than necessary but managed to remove it.
I use a few feet of nylon webbing from an old ratchet strap to hold the tank.
Don't pack the wrench for the valve in your carryon or TSA will take it.
I commissioned an artist to illustrate the mechanics of the operation.
Screenshot_20210109-112650.png

It 'splains why the valve falls horizontally against the wall instead of vertically to the floor.

The version of “the rules” that I’ve seen many times, in re cylinders....

empty and open

Open does not mean plugged with your big toe or chewing gum or plastic plug or Kleenex or ... debate this as you chose.

Or sling a 60 where you got your rental 80. Step up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom