Pony bottle, TSA and Delta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you able to see gas?
They can see it's empty. Doubt you would be filling it with poisonous gas and then taping the opening without killing yourself.

Personally, I don't even tape the opening. Nothing is going to happen to it in my bag. Why make the TSA's job any harder? YOu are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Bye.

I agree. It’s not logical. But in its purist interpretation the opening would be “sealed” with tape.

Sometimes that is all it takes for someone in a bad mood that day.

Sidebar. I think anyone that owns their own tanks might find the pics on this site interesting...

Cylinders & Valves

I agree. It’s not logical. But in its purist interpretation the opening would be “sealed” with tape.

Sometimes that is all it takes for someone in a bad mood that day.

Sidebar. I think anyone that owns their own tanks might find the pics on this site interesting...

Cylinders & Valves
TSA has a lot of employees. There are bound to be a few real idiots and jerks. and a few Tin Gods. I worry more about the latter than the former.

I have had out of viz tanks filled in the US a couple of times. They just wanted to be sure it was in hydro.

The save a dive kit with the lighter was in checked.
As in a checked bag? Wow they were really digging. I had a bottle of sole dressing I bought in NC for a Marine back home confiscated once, note left.

My plans for the future is to just leave the tank completely open so that the is no need for interpretation of the law, at least from that aspect.
Personally, I don't even tape the opening.
I can't go that far. I'm afraid something might get inside the tank. I have watched TSA inspect my bags at the Lubbock airport and pull up one end of the tape for a quick peek.

As in a checked bag? Wow they were really digging. I had a bottle of sole dressing I bought in NC for a Marine back home confiscated once, note left.
Ha. Yes in the checked luggage, along with the plugged tank. Took the lighter but left the tank.:rofl3: :facepalm:

Delta not only initiated the return on the tank, they also packed it up and shipped it to us. At no charge.

Last edited:
I appreciate the thread and the knowledge passed on - I too travel with my pony bottle on occasion and apparently I have been doing it wrong also. I have a plastic travel cap that I have been using on my bottle with no issue in past, but I will be leaving the bottle entirely open in future, and especially in my upcoming trip to Bonaire in January in order to avoid any potential issues.

Any suggestions about taking an Al 40 deco tank to Mexico? I can certainly drain it and remove the valve, but what's your experience with getting it filled again with O2 there, without a new cleaning?

Any suggestions about taking an Al 40 deco tank to Mexico? I can certainly drain it and remove the valve, but what's your experience with getting it filled again with O2 there, without a new cleaning?

You could contact ProTec Dive Center Playa del Carmen, Mexico and ask them.

As I recall @northernone dealt with this is in Cozumel and may have some suggestions. My quess is that it is going to be entirely dependent on the shop.

Back
Top Bottom