Pony bottle, TSA and Delta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1- Remove clear tape from opening
2- Be sure the rubber washer is around the threads of the pony tank valve
3- Screw valve into pony bottle
4- Bring pony bottle to a local dive shop to fill it for you- do not say that it was emptied and the valve removed unless you like to pay for unnecessary VIPs.
5- Go dive

I would suggest adding "hand tight only" to step 3. The last thing you want is to have someone borrowing a 36" pipe wrench from the LDS and torquing it down...

Rather than tape or a plug, I put a clear freezer bag over the end of my open 13cuft and slide 2 bungies on to sucure. Open and isolated. Valve in a sandwich bag in a padded reg bag with sm reg sets.
The important part is it gets carried on so if there is any questions, and there sometimes is, I get to explain the obvious. I have found that they(security ) don't want to appear stupid.
Explaining an empty bottle is easy, I'm just glad they don't recognize how dangerous a pair of 1st's on hoses could be...
No issues with fills in Mexico.

I would suggest adding "hand tight only" to step 3. The last thing you want is to have someone borrowing a 36" pipe wrench from the LDS and torquing it down...

+1 on handtight before fill.
I can remove my valve with a 6" adjustable wrench after.
##### PLEASE REMEMBER TO DRAIN THE PRESSURE IN THE CYLINDER BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE A VALVE #####

CHEERS, Kevin

+1 on handtight before fill.

It depends a lot on whose hand tight you are talking about -- a 220 Lb/100Kg athlete or someone half that size with arthritis. More important is there should be zero gap between the valve flange and the neck of the cylinder. Test it with some thin dental floss or a feeler gauge when in doubt . An extruded O-ring can ruin your day.
full.jpg

I had considered editing my post to include that part.

Right, never use any sort of tool to tighten a pony valve, at most I might give it a firm tap with my open palm.

Installing a valve on a pony tank that has tape over the opening is a complicated multi-step process that must be followed in a particular order or there will be major problems.

Here's the step by step procedure that must be followed after you arrive at your destination. Feel free to print it out if necessary.

1- Remove clear tape from opening
2- Be sure the rubber washer is around the threads of the pony tank valve
3- Screw valve into pony bottle
4- Bring pony bottle to a local dive shop to fill it for you- do not say that it was emptied and the valve removed unless you like to pay for unnecessary VIPs.
5- Go dive

Hi DavBuc,

I would like to add that whether you use clear tape or wide open (as I do), take a flashlight and make a visual inspection inside the bottle for FOD (foreign object debris). Then insert valve.

thanks,
markm

Some thoughts:
  1. My luggage is neither filthy nor filled with sopping wet gear. I have no problem packing my pony empty, valve removed, and straight into the luggage with no tape.

2. A spare LP hose with the quick connector removed can be used as a blow gun, in case you do get some debris in there. Regulator IP is roughly the same as typical shop air pressure.

3. If you don't want your destination dive op to fill your empty pony, bring an equalizer whip.

Lisa, I know you and Eric will be bringing your own pony on future trips to Bonaire, so I am posting this for others who may not want to bring theirs and happen upon this thread. The SDI/TDI shop run by Chris and operated on the premises of Captain Don's Habitat will rent you a 13cf pony complete with mounting hardware and bolt snaps for $5 a day. Contact |

Will need your own 1st and 2nd stage though.
Dive Friends Bonaire @ Yellow Submarine will also rent them to you if they are not all being used in a Self-Reliant class already. Pretty sure they will rent theirs with the 1st and 2nd stage included.

Back
Top Bottom