Pony bottle vs. Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always dive with a buddy I just like having a pony with the secondary hanging from my neck, I fell more relaxed and enjoy the dive more.

I'm just coming into this thread now, so please excuse me if this has already been asked. Would a Spare Air be a good thing to carry, just in case you run out of air inadvertently? Why or why not?

I'm just coming into this thread now, so please excuse me if this has already been asked. Would a Spare Air be a good thing to carry, just in case you run out of air inadvertently? Why or why not?
That's been well covered in this thread. Just go back, read, let us know if you have any questions... :eyebrow:

Could I have a more detailed explanation? I would like to hear both sides.
You want one written just for you? I don't get it? It's been well covered here. Have you read the discussion? I see no need in repeating any of it, but please do ask if you have questions after reading.

Don,

I think what LG diver is saying is that redundant gas is not necessarily a pony bottle/spare air. Redundant gas can be sitting on your buddy's back.

My issue with pony bottles is that while it is arguably a good source of redundant gas, it is hardly a good substitute for a good buddy and good buddy diving skills. I use my buddies not only to make sure that I have gas in case I have an OOG emergency, I also use them to help me proactively avoid other issues.

Examples include..
- help in navigation
- help in avoiding and freeing myself from entanglements
- spotting gear issues like gas leaks
- spotting me if I lose visibility (i.e. I lose my mask and have to switch to my back up mask)
- help in shooting a bag if we are making a unplanned ascent due to some issue I am experiencing
- and so on and so on

Of course, my buddy relies on me to reciprocate.

While it is true that a pony bottle is one way to provide redundant gas, it is far from a good substitute to good buddy diving.

And that is a perfectly logical and valid approach to diving. IF you have a good buddy on hand. Otherwise, you get to stay dry. That, for some, would severely limit the diving that they would get to do. For others, they just prefer to dive by themselves, for whatever reason. And in those cases, a pony bottle is a very viable option to manage risk.

However, poorly thought out plans, such as using a pony bottle for an accelerated deco bottle and a bailout bottle at the same time, probably make the user less safe than just leaving the thing at home would.

My reasoning for being self sufficient is the fact that buddies are human. In other words they aren't perfect machines 100% guaranteed to react in a certain way in a certain situation. So i don't like trusting my life to anyone that MIGHT not react correctly/be there and so on no matter who they are or slim the chance. I like to be able to get myself of the *****.

However, poorly thought out plans, such as using a pony bottle for an accelerated deco bottle and a bailout bottle at the same time, probably make the user less safe than just leaving the thing at home would.

Yes, it is either one or the other, but it can't be both. I use air because I don't want to refill the bottle when I am going deep.

And that is a perfectly logical and valid approach to diving. IF you have a good buddy on hand. Otherwise, you get to stay dry. That, for some, would severely limit the diving that they would get to do. For others, they just prefer to dive by themselves, for whatever reason. And in those cases, a pony bottle is a very viable option to manage risk.

My only point is that a pony bottle and a bad/unknown buddy does not equal good buddy diving.

Solo diving is a whole nuther topic - one that I know very little about.

Is this a serious question? You list yourself as a "solo diver" with >500 dives.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom