Pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back on the shelf in the dive store, before purchasing it. :)

I had one buddy with an inverted pony bottle mounted to her tank. She kept complaining how her new pony bottle reg hose kept pulling out of the "keeper" and dangling to her fins, and she kept kicking it. I asked the obvious question, "If it is so hard for that hose to reach your shoulder strap D-ring, how is it going to reach your mouth if you try to use it?" Suddenly, realization swept across her face.

So I would not recommend inverted unless it has a long hose.

oscar_2424:
What is the best place to put your pony bottle?

OliveBone:
Why would you dive with a pony bottle?

Why would you respond to a posted question with a question? We're all better off when you stick to the topic at hand, especially when its as hotly debated topic as this one is. :42: Ken

yakivet:
Why would you respond to a posted question with a question? We're all better off when you stick to the topic at hand, especially when its as hotly debated topic as this one is. :42: Ken

I just wanted to know why he was thinking of diving with a pony bottle, to make sure he was only going to use it in an extreme unforseen incident, which he went on to explain.

Some divers want to use them on a regular basis to increase their bottom time after their "BIG" tank runs out.

Now to answer the question, I would recommend slinging the pony bottle under one of your arms the way tech divers do. Get the same type of rigging as they do with the dog clips and secure the reg and hose the same way they do. This being that I hope you have a BCD with D-rings on the shoulder and waist. I recommend this way as opposed attaching it to your back tank because now you can reach the valve and turn it on if you need to and is much easier and faster to take it with you.

SO... why did you not answer his question? We're all better off when you stick to the topic at hand, especially when its as hotly debated topic as this one is.

I never use a pony because I have a set of double, but if I didn't I would just sling it like a Deco bottle where it is easy to reach. If you need it, the reg is right there and if you need to shut it off/on for any emergency it's right in front of you. I would also install a SPG on a 6" hose or a button SPG so you always know what pressure is in the bottle.

Cheers

Al

OliveBone:
I just wanted to know why he was thinking of diving with a pony bottle, to make sure he was only going to use it in an extreme unforseen incident, which he went on to explain.

Some divers want to use them on a regular basis to increase their bottom time after their "BIG" tank runs out.

Now to answer the question, I would recommend slinging the pony bottle under one of your arms the way tech divers do. Get the same type of rigging as they do with the dog clips and secure the reg and hose the same way they do. This being that I hope you have a BCD with D-rings on the shoulder and waist. I recommend this way as opposed attaching it to your back tank because now you can reach the valve and turn it on if you need to and is much easier and faster to take it with you.

SO... why did you not answer his question? We're all better off when you stick to the topic at hand, especially when its as hotly debated topic as this one is.

Thanks for the advise it really help

You'll find that there are alot of pony haters on this forum, but I personally won't dive with out one. I attach mine to my main tank with the "super pony tamer", and I use an SPG clipped to my BC, along with the reg.

Sling it on your left side. You can make your own sling set up:
http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html

I have a 19cuft, and used it the first time this weekend. No issues with it on the bottom, and was trim. The main reason why I chose to dive with a pony bottle is for bail out. If I run into an emergency... I have never had a reg free flow or freeze up on me at depth, but people I have dove with have and it's easier to unclip the pony bottle from yourself and clip it to them to use. You can also use it to extend your bottom time a litte especially for that last BIG scallop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom