'Pony' Bottle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaster says:

"Personally I'd go with doubles. But a 40 can and does have it's uses.
Either way you go with it, get lots of practice with it."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you practice with it, what would you practice exactly? You rig it, try it out and make sure it all works as expected and is easily accessable in the water--do this in a pool or shallow controlled area and then afterwards go dive. What are you practicing? If a diver needs to practice switching regulators then he/she does not need to be solo diving.

N

Nemrod:
Divemaster says:

"Personally I'd go with doubles. But a 40 can and does have it's uses.
Either way you go with it, get lots of practice with it."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you practice with it, what would you practice exactly? You rig it, try it out and make sure it all works as expected and is easily accessable in the water--do this in a pool or shallow controlled area and then afterwards go dive. What are you practicing? If a diver needs to practice switching regulators then he/she does not need to be solo diving.

N

Isn't that a form of practice?
You left out retrieving and replacing the reg.
Have you even considered how it's gonna affect bouyancy?
Or how about the weighting of it?
Are you still confused over the "we" remark?
Why am I even replying to this?
Dude, Get a life........:rofl3:

Nem - Jim,
You're both right. Can we meet in the middle and say a sufficient amount of practice to dive comfortably and confidently?

ArcticDiver:
OK Paddler you had three choices: On your back. Sling Left. Sling right. What did you decide? Why?

Just want to add to my data base by including your solution and rationale.

I went with slinging it on my left.

I'm diving next weekend, so I'll know for sure if it works for me, but trying it on land, felt fine.

My major concern on the left was I'm right handed, but my pressure guage is on the left and BC inflator is on the left so using my left hand to manipulate the slung pony actually feels natural. My secondary concern was getting in the way of my pressure guage, but again on land getting to my pressure guage felt unhindered.

Deploying the regulator and routing the hose behind my head felt like I had my normal regulator in my mouth.

A fair amount of guys that dive here in the mid-Atlantic have their ponies mounted on their back. Their argument is they aren't draging their back up regulators through the mud. You probe a bit further and these guys are digging through the mud looking for treasure. Personally I'm a bit more into the 'leave no trace' so I'd rather take a photo.

Also slinging it on either side had another postive aspect...if I had to, I can give the bottle to my dive buddy. I'd rather not do that, but if I had to, I could.

Finally I went with the left cause if I get into deco diving, I'm already comfortable carrying a bottle on that side, which overwhelmingly seems to be the choice of deco diving.

So again thanks to everyone in this forum . You folks have been cool and helpful!

Cheers,

cgd

Thanks for the report.

Sling it Right~~ Sling it Left~~~ The good thing is it isn't an ear ring Dude :wink:

So Man You can "Sling Both Way" :rofl3:

( I'm so Tacky :shakehead )

I do know a guy that has his suspended horizontal and in the middle.
That make sence to me unless you have to peal out of your gear and then it might be trouble but actually it's a pretty slick mount. I'm thinking of giving it a try myself.

I suppose the standard way is to sling it on the Left side. ( I do that -- 19cf )
It makes for a bit of a traffic jam with the SPG/Compass console hose and the BCD Inflater hose---- I wear one of my Knives on the left and the Emegency weight dump pull is on the left side too.
Both Dive lights are on the Right side also my Octo. A stash bag, cave reel, empty BCD pocket, extra knife and message slate all right side.
I also hang my camera and strobe on my Right side too.

There.... just like Algebra.. all balanced out :D

Timeliner:
It makes for a bit of a traffic jam with the SPG/Compass console hose

Easy solution to that.Put the computer on your wrist,get rid of the silly console and put the spg on your left D ring.

Wonder why nobody ever thought of that before :wink:

ianr33:
Easy solution to that.Put the computer on your wrist,get rid of the silly console and put the spg on your left D ring.

Wonder why nobody ever thought of that before :wink:

I have my computer on my wrist. but I do have the SPG/ Compass on a console.

good idea though... get rid of all that and just have a SPG that can be streamlined and more out of the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom