'Pony' Bottle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If god wanted you to put your compass on a console it would not have come with straps in the first place. But even better, try that bungie mount (DSS?), it's really slick.

Thalassamania:
If god wanted you to put your compass on a console it would not have come with straps in the first place. But even better, try that bungie mount (DSS?), it's really slick.

Ahhhh.... The Compass...That is on my list of things to change too. A bungie does seem like the way to go for sure. That way I can get one big enough for me to see at the end of my arm :D The numbers on most Consoles seem to be a bit on the smallish side for me. You live and learn I guess. I suppose I could just install one of my Watchmakers loopes on my face mask :crafty:

I guess its all a matter of preference. I like it all on a console. I know where it all is, my guage, my computer, and my compass, and I don't forget to put anything on or lose anything, and they are always there without having to remember anything when I gear up, allowing me to think about other matters like the dive plan.

jchaplain:
I guess its all a matter of preference. I like it all on a console. I know where it all is, my guage, my computer, and my compass, and I don't forget to put anything on or lose anything, and they are always there without having to remember anything when I gear up, allowing me to think about other matters like the dive plan.
A major problem with a console is that you can't navigate as accurately as you can with a compass on your wrist ... we tested that extensively. Results were, in order: Board, wrist, retractor, console.

My solution to the compass issue is a Silva hiker's compass in a BC pocket. They are liquid filled, pressure proof and cheap, less than 10 bucks at Wal Mart and are almost as good as a tac board.

captain:
My solution to the compass issue is a Silva hiker's compass in a BC pocket. They are liquid filled, pressure proof and cheap, less than 10 bucks at Wal Mart and are almost as good as a tac board.

That kind of brings up another topic. I've had some of the cheap, non liquid filled, Silva compasses pretty deep and it doesn't phase them.

There really is no need to spend much on a "diving compass".

Thalassamania:
A major problem with a console is that you can't navigate as accurately as you can with a compass on your wrist ... we tested that extensively. Results were, in order: Board, wrist, retractor, console.

Besides, there isn't anything about the functionality of a compass that would lead one to think that it should be on the end of a hose. They aren't air powered or anything are they?

MikeFerrara:
That kind of brings up another topic. I've had some of the cheap, non liquid filled, Silva compasses pretty deep and it doesn't phase them.

There really is no need to spend much on a "diving compass".
And I've had 'em crack & flood... so... YMMV :)
Rick

I am right handed and sling all bottles on left, clip on/off with left.

Can I get my cookie? :blinking:

Q: assuming you have your pony bottle slung on the left; in a hog harness do you move your knife/cutting tool over to the right?? Just curious

Retractor compasses are the devil; especially if you have a slow reacting compass as I do, seemed like a good idea at the time, this will be something I surely change out soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom