Pony Fill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I recently picked up a 13cuft pony bottle. I'm hoping to bring it to Roatan. Assuming I can work out the flying thing, do you know if the shop at AKR would object to filling a tank for me? It's just regular ol' 3000psi aluminum. Should just be one time fill for the whole trip...

Hello,

I recently picked up a 13cuft pony bottle. I'm hoping to bring it to Roatan. Assuming I can work out the flying thing, do you know if the shop at AKR would object to filling a tank for me? It's just regular ol' 3000psi aluminum. Should just be one time fill for the whole trip...

We'll check with the dive shop and let you know.

Last edited:
As long as the valve is removed and the tank is in your checked luggage, you shouldn't have any issues. It's no more dangerous than a hairbrush.

And assuming it has current hydro and visual, a shop should fill it, but it's worth checking with them.

Alternately, you could pick up a trans-fill whip like this... XS Scuba DuoKev Transfill Whip | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

It's a bit of a lump to carry given current weight restrictions, but it solves the problem... although you'll lose a bit of your first tank filling it...

And don't forget to drain it and remove the valve again before you fly home!

You probably won't get it on the airplane, but we'll check with the dive shop and let you know.
Huh?

I travel with a 19 cuft pony and have never had a problem

Take the valve off, and tape a copy of the TSA regulations concerning transporting compressed air cylinders in checked baggage (just in case) My TSA - Home Airport

-------------------edit--------------------------
I also put a piece of blue painter's tape over the open end of the bottle, just to keep misc junk from possibly getting inside

As long as the valve is removed and the tank is in your checked luggage, you shouldn't have any issues. It's no more dangerous than a hairbrush.

And assuming it has current hydro and visual, a shop should fill it, but it's worth checking with them.

Alternately, you could pick up a trans-fill whip like this... XS Scuba DuoKev Transfill Whip | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

It's a bit of a lump to carry given current weight restrictions, but it solves the problem... although you'll lose a bit of your first tank filling it...

And don't forget to drain it and remove the valve again before you fly home!
Or make your own. Very simple and economical if you already have 2 first stages courtesy @couv. This is the one I use.

Tank Equalizer for $2.50

And another economical option.

DGX Gas Transfill Hose with Analog Gauge

Huh?

I travel with a 19 cuft pony and have never had a problem

Take the valve off, and tape a copy of the TSA regulations concerning transporting compressed air cylinders in checked baggage (just in case) My TSA - Home Airport

-------------------edit--------------------------
I also put a piece of blue painter's tape over the open end of the bottle, just to keep misc junk from possibly getting inside
How often do you have it happen that the shop on the other end requires a new visual because the valve was off (and the valve obviously had to be removed in order to fly it there)? Or do they care because it's reassembled by the time they see it (with a current visual marking on the cylinder)?

How often do you have it happen that the shop on the other end requires a new visual because the valve was off (and the valve obviously had to be removed in order to fly it there)? Or do they care because it's reassembled by the time they see it (with a current visual marking on the cylinder)?
I've never had a problem. FWIW, I "just" had it hydro'd (8/16) but before that, the last visual was ~5 years old. I bring the tank with the valve on and I only ask for an air fill. The only 'real' certification needed is a current hydro (for air fills, the yearly visual is a complete waste of money)

I also always ask the local shop before I travel and I do have a fill-whip in case the local shop are scuba nazi's.

I ordered the adapter mentioned in the thread @couv wrote. Thanks to both @couv and @uncfnp. $14 including shipping from Granger! If the shop in Honduras has a problem filling my pony, this is a good backup method I can use and I won't miss 13cuft (or whatever I manage to get into the pony) on a single dive too terribly much.

Back
Top Bottom