pony or spare air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that this is going to stir it up but really, if I want to have the security of bailing on a dive if there are problems with my air tank do I really need a pony tank or can I get away with a spare air (which is cheaper).

Peace.

Hi

Hopefully you made up your mind which way to go, but here is my 5c worth. Firstly you are realtively new to diving and you are considering alternate air supply over computer and reg. As you said, rental gear is not great, I strongly recommend you get your own reg you can rely on and a computer first.

Alternate air is a consideration for deep diving, deco diving, wreck diving, cave diving etc... All things you SHOULD NOT BE DOING, until you have a bit more experience.

I got a spare air when I first started wreck diving, then realized it was really inadequate and went for a pony tank. I still use the spare air for open water dives, and the pony for wreck / cave dives.

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom