Pony regulator question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My original pony reg was an Apeks XTX50. That reg got moved into my doubles set.

A very long time ago I decided on a H2Odyssey combined valve/1st stage. It's the most compact, bullitproof, easy to work on pony combined valve & 1st stage available. And it's inexpensive. Functioned perfectly at 131' and 42°F.

View media item 209700
A deco reg is often simple and unbalanced because it's being used shallow. A pony reg is an entirely different thing. I personally want my pony reg to be as high quality as my primary. If I ever need to use it I will most likely need to switch to it at depth and in a high stress situation meaning my breathing will be much heavier than normal. I don't want to have to breath through an inferior reg in situations like that.

I use a top of the line reg on my pony (Apeks ATX200) that is as high quality as my primary (Aqua Lung Legend).

You pony reg should be as good, if not better, than your primary. When you need it you are likely to be stressed and could still be at depth.

I practice switching over to my pony and make an ascent from greater than 30m on a regular basis.

I use an Apeks Tungsten 1st, and Second stage (D.I.N.) on my 100% Oxygen White Luxfer 40 cubic bottle.
I also use an Apeks Black Sapphire 1st, and Second stage (A-clamp.) on my Nitrox Brushed Aluminum Catalina 40 cubic bottle.
They are both glorified XTX 200's
There are photos in my media.
Is that "Overkill?".....(Maybe.)
I had a comment made this weekend during my surface interval.
"You know, most people don't put $1000 regs on their ponies......right?
Well, I'm getting older, so instead of sitting on a shelf....I'm gonna use them.
I like the comment about your secondary, being as good, if not better than your primary. That's what I was taught.
I use an Apeks XTX50 for a primary, and an Apeks XTX200 on a necklace.
They are the same regulator. (Except for the shiny stuff.
Cheers.

My bail-out has been a Cyklon 300, for more than a decade; never an issue; great breathing in the coldest of waters. Before that, it was the Cyklon 5000; but I pulled its piston predecessor out its not-so-early retirement, just for kicks . . .

I use my 1980’s Sherwood Magnum. When I had it rebuilt a bit after the turn of the century, I was told that due to discontinued parts I would not get another rebuild, although normal service would not be an issue. After a couple of years I got a new Sherwood and that one was rarely used until I got a pony.

I use that old Sherwood for my pony because it worked flawlessly for over thirty years, and that’s the kind of reg I want in an emergency. It may not be the breather or best reg made, but I know what it will work like when I need it in an emergency. It won’t be our first rodeo.

I may be getting a pony tank at some point in the not too distant future. I dive in somewhat cold water (down to low 40s), but not typically in cold weather. I was thinking I would probably just get another of the same relatively inexpensive sealed diaphragm regulators that has worked well for me so far and use that for the pony. (If it ain't broke . . . )

On the other hand, I read sometimes that people often use a simple unbalanced piston for pony tanks. Any reason (other than saving a few bucks) to prefer a basic unbalanced piston on a pony tank?

I exclusively use an H2Odyssey RG2V valve/1st stage. They are simple to service and have a very small footprint - reliable, durable, inexpensive and the crossfill adapter and service fill adapter are small and inexpensive, so you can fill the pony from an Al80 or have the shop do the fill.

There is some thought that a MK2 is more tolerant of being flooded than a diaphragm reg, and that for stages this could be an advantage, especially if the stage is left charged with the valve off. That way if the purge gets bumped and the regulator floods, there is less of a chance of a problem. I don't actually know how realistic that whole scenario is, but it is true that the MK2 has very a simple air path and no dynamic o-rings in the HP chamber, so it makes sense that you could flood it, then just blow the water out and use it. I guess this is only an issue if you turn your pony off underwater to prevent any accidental gas loss.

I do use my pony regularly, but only for filling tires and testing regulators. In the 10-15 years I have owned the pony, I think I dove with it exactly one time.

There is some thought that a MK2 is more tolerant of being flooded than a diaphragm reg, and that for stages this could be an advantage, especially if the stage is left charged with the valve off. That way if the purge gets bumped and the regulator floods, there is less of a chance of a problem. I don't actually know how realistic that whole scenario is, but it is true that the MK2 has very a simple air path and no dynamic o-rings in the HP chamber, so it makes sense that you could flood it, then just blow the water out and use it. I guess this is only an issue if you turn your pony off underwater to prevent any accidental gas loss.

I do use my pony regularly, but only for filling tires and testing regulators. In the 10-15 years I have owned the pony, I think I dove with it exactly one time.
If you turn on a flooded diaphragm to use it "in anger" in cold water, there's a good chance the water inside will freeze.

Back
Top Bottom