pool liners ok for scuba classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I have been on the search recently for a pool to teach OW classes at. So far the best rental price I can find is at the YMCA. However I do know a few people with backyard inground pools. It would save me travel distance and money (I would still pay the pool owners though) to use a backyard pool, but the ones I know of have liners rather than sealed concrete.

Has anyone here had experience using these kind of pools for scuba and what do you guys think the risk is of putting a hole in the liner?

Thanks in advance!

the one i have in mind is big enough for a small class.
if i teach at a school or similar intety, i have a release of liability waiver for the owner of the pool as well as one for me. would this be enough for a private pool, or would they need to do something extra on insurance?

No hard weights, and make sure you "sterilize" any gear of anything sharp or hard. It would be a shame to have to pay to re-line a pool because a student brought their BFK to class and you're stuck with the bill.

No hard weights, and make sure you "sterilize" any gear of anything sharp or hard. It would be a shame to have to pay to re-line a pool because a student brought their BFK to class and you're stuck with the bill.

thanks, are fins and tanks with bumpers safe then?

the one i have in mind is big enough for a small class.
if i teach at a school or similar intety, i have a release of liability waiver for the owner of the pool as well as one for me. would this be enough for a private pool, or would they need to do something extra on insurance?

If I were a homeowner, I would want to check with my insurance company to see if I'm covered for commercial activities going on at my home. I'm guessing the answer would be no, but perhaps there is some kind of exception for small, home-based businesses.

I'll second the "no stabby objects" warning. Probably know a dozen friends who dive their lined pools (kids trying the gear, or playing with equipment configurations) without damage.

Perfect excuse to teach students buoyancy and to be caution and avoid contacting sensitive bottoms.

I'd be nervous... Paying for repairs to such a fragile pool system would get costly quickly.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom