Poor Nights - Day Tripping or Live Aboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bentrw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Headed through north island in October. Planning on 3-4 days of diving, and wanted to hit poor nights. Traveling with another diver and 4 non-divers.
From what we've read we'd love to do a couple days of diving in poor nights and are debating the live aboard vs. a day trip or two.
read a few other post, and looked into a few day trip operations...
Checked out Dive Tutukaka and looks like it might be fun to spend a day with the 6 of us on one of their boats. Just not sure how comfortable they are for non-divers.
Leaning towards letting them take their own Cruise through the islands while we snag a live aboard.

Thoughts, suggestions.

Thanks!

Hi, just for my 2 cents worth if you can swing a liveaboard I would go for it. Did a trip at easter there, left Tutukaka harbour at 9am on a Friday, weighed anchor from the Poor Knights at lunchtime on the following Monday having logged 15 dives, each one very special for different reasons.
The operator I was with only takes group bookings so they are out for you I am thinking and Dive Tutukaka only do day trips. They can set up multiple day trips and not just at the Poor Knights, there are the Tui and Waikato wrecks and also the Rainbow Warrior and Canterbury not too far away. Dive! are organising that for me for the summer and am very impressed by them so far. So far as I know they are the best placed to cater for non-divers.
Check out http://www.aperfectday.co.nz for one option for the non-bubble makers

Like I said though the liveaboard is the way to go I think, you could try these guys Poor Knights Islands Scuba Diving Liveaboard dive New Zealand I saw their boat in harbour and at the Knights and it looks sweet. They offer a range of liveaboard options.

Dont be scared to ask them for advice for the non-divers they might make some decent suggestions!

Hope this helps and hope you get to enjoy your diving when you are here. If you get down to Wellington drop me a line, happy to help out.

If you have the time a live aboard to the Knights is well worth it. Ocean Blue are the only real choice for this, and run a great trip.
If you run out of time a day trip is a good option. as Ulsterkiwi said Dive! Tutukaka will look after you well and your non divers will be able to go out on the same trip, as the boats have plenty of room. Cheers, Craig

hey bent. The knights are pretty darn spectacular but you may also want to try talking to Goat island divers and going out to the mokes. They aren't as well advertised as the Knights but pretty spectacular dives

Is it a common practice in NZ that divers have to provide themselves with everything except gas fill? Even tank, weight + belt have to pay for !!
I must be spoiled in Philippines etc etc.

Most people who dive regularly will want to be in their own gear, it stands to reason. However the companies we are recommending will all hire full sets of equipment or whatever is required with specific items. Pricing will vary from country to country as we know, here most places will give you a price for the diving and them diving plus gear on a sliding scale depending on what you need. Divers with their own gear will not want to subsidise the prices paid by those who do not. Unlike some other countries there is not a tipping culture here and for retail there wont be a "plus taxes" at the bottom of the bill, so thats the price you will pay. We also have a thing here called "mates rates", its not the same as haggling but most operators wont be offended if you ask for discount or offer prices. I always do! If they say no, you are not any worse off :)
So the quick answer to your question is no you dont HAVE to provide everything and yes you must be spoiled :)

I do have everything except the compressor! But I am not going to fly my twin steel tank to anywhere for diving. The excess luggage charges would be horrendous.
This is my first time to come across that belt, tank and weight are NOT supplied FOC by the dive shop. Well, the actual cost might have included in the dive rate already.
It came as a shock to me anyway.
Learnt something new.

centrals. Over here most divers already have our own gear so rather than EVERYONE pay for all the gear or part of the gear the operators have a stepped charge system. 1) just diving 2) tank/diving. 3) all the gear/diving.

Thank you for the useful information.
An all inclusive 2 wks diving trip to NZ + flight should set me back around US$5,000.00.
Well, I think I will blow it on Bikini Atoll before it is close down again.

and that, my friend, will be your loss :wink:
re the cost, you just need to look at a map of the world to see how far you have to travel to get here, a pity but the reality :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom