Pop up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
i keep getting a Google pop up on SB saying I won a prize at Walmart. It comes up every minute or so. Only on Scubaboard. Help!! Hank49

I’m in Florida now.??? No other site does this.

Hank,

This has been brought up on a couple of other threads. It's my understanding the folks at SB are looking into this but have found no answers yet. It only happens to me if I visit SB with my ipad. Doesn't happen on my Dell desktop or my desktop at work.

It seems to have stopped now. Been on SB for the last 10 minutes or so and it has’t happened. Maybe posting a thread and complaining works?

I think the pop-up most folks are complaining about are these Google pop-ups that claim you have won a prize. I get it quite a bit when I visit SB on my ipad. Doesn't happen on other devices or my desktops. Nothing seems to work if it happens on your iphone or ipad. Other threads on here address the problem as well.

The ads contain the word "google" which seems to be confusing the issue. These are not google ads . There appears to be DNS hijacking involved, which is common to certain ISP's and MANY malware programs.

We're still trying to figure out how to advise users to deal with it but for lack of a 100% solution, our current hypothesis is that the users' device is likely infected with malware. Why this appears to be affecting Scubaboard and not other sites is a bit of mystery, to be honest. System administrators are investigating. What we do know to date is that using a VPN to connect to the internet stops it.

What you can try on the short term is to use a VPN or to search out and run a good anti-malware program appropriate for your device. Do not use CCleaner. CCleaner recently had a massive fiasco of masquerading as anti-malware but actually installing malware on your computer. Do not use this program.

R..

Adblock. Which uses a vpn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom