Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should have used the sarcastic font in my post.
I figured that you were joking. You could use , but anyway.

Oops, spoilers aren't working.

I should have used the sarcastic font in my post.

I was there this morning and it was very strange. Strong east wind but huge waves from the north crashing into my Villa Aldora. (I still own that) We took the ladders out and would not let anyone out to snorkel even if they were crazy enough to try. Plus we could not take anyone out from the downtown Aldora pier and they had to load in Fonatur while the port was still open. Soon closed, Aldora Finished the morning dives but the port was closed as it should have been. No matter what the wind forecasts said it was very rough out there today.

I keep telling y'all that January is the wrong month-- but the lemmings keep coming—and don't blame the port captain as she was right on today.

Dave Dillehay (Aldora Retired)

I am going to get ahold of the new port captain's personal e-mail as well as an address and I encourage EVERYONE who cares to write letters (in English is fine) about how your vacation was ruined on perfectly flat days.

She is doing crazy crap like opening it when it shouldn't be and closing it when it should be open because she is clearly CLUELESS about how the winds work on the island vs the mainland. She is going to single handedly destroy the water sports industry on the island.

BTW,

Y'all ought to stop raising hell with the new Port Captain (not Harbor Master). All you are gonna do is make her upset and make her more unreasonable. MY guess is that with time she will understand and be reasonable but not if you call her out for things she has the authority to do-- you and I all lose.

Dave Dillehay (Aldora Retired)

I was there this morning and it was very strange. Strong east wind but huge waves from the north crashing into my Villa Aldora.
That does sound strange to this landlocked farmboy. Looking online at internet reports, I can see a lot about the winds, current & expected, but there's little about swells offered. I wonder where those north waves were coming from? Windguru is forecasting a NE swell for Saturday, but with little detail.

I am going to get ahold of the new port captain's personal e-mail as well as an address and I encourage EVERYONE who cares to write letters (in English is fine) about how your vacation was ruined on perfectly flat days.

She is doing crazy crap like opening it when it shouldn't be and closing it when it should be open because she is clearly CLUELESS about how the winds work on the island vs the mainland. She is going to single handedly destroy the water sports industry on the island.

I'm really starting to regret booking flights there at end of February. If this crap is still going on Feb 1, I may start looking into diverting to Caye Caulker.

To Dave’s point, weather was unusual today. As he described, there were big ocean rollers coming in from the north even though winds were from East. . I assumed it was better down south based on the angle (as people had confirmed) , but from town and north seas were not friendly at all at the shore line. This included ferry pier where my usual dive boat captain actually sent video of the rollers coming in there since it was unusual (he has certainly seen much worse, but was strange enough to send a video of ).

Note that the port captains office is north of town , she would have seen large waves crashing from her window so arguing they don’t exist is probably not a good strategy

I'm really starting to regret booking flights there at end of February. If this crap is still going on Feb 1, I may start looking into diverting to Caye Caulker.
Isn't it great that you have many many other option available to you.

I went last February to see the eagle rays. Didn't have any problems once I added an extra 3 mil suit to my layers, but it's always a crapshoot in the winter.

I went last February to see the eagle rays. Didn't have any problems once I added an extra 3 mil suit to my layers, but it's always a crapshoot in the winter.

I'm not worried about seasonal weather. That's part of the game and if the port is closed because a norte has the seas angry, I can live with it. I just don't want to be looking out at flat seas and being told I can't even shore dive.

To Dave’s point, weather was unusual today. As he described, there were big ocean rollers coming in from the north even though winds were from East. . I assumed it was better down south based on the angle (as people had confirmed) , but from town and north seas were not friendly at all at the shore line. This included ferry pier where my usual dive boat captain actually sent video of the rollers coming in there since it was unusual (he has certainly seen much worse, but was strange enough to send a video of ).

Note that the port captains office is north of town , she would have seen large waves crashing from her window so arguing they don’t exist is probably not a good strategy

Maybe Cozumel needs to be divided into a couple of zones and have different levels of closures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom