Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dunno - one thing timing the ladder bounce or moving between two objects moving relatively at the same time but going from a panga to a stationary dock - ugghhh

Came back from Playa on Ultramar - here in Cozumel docking on the down current downwind side, three attempts before we were tied up - the wind is ripping down there...

Yes, on a 46' Newton, it's not that big of an issue.
Very true. They toss out a 30ft rope with a ball at the end...grab the rope and pull yourself in...easy peasy :wink:

Well, safely getting on a ladder in big waves can be tricky even on a bigger boat. One of my first trips in my greenhorn days, I was in the Florida Keys, second day of a blow out, bored to tears. But an instructor had a high paying gig with a couple he absolutely had to take out before a trip, talked the Op I was booked with into going somehow, and I was at the dock just in case - the only other one. So I got to go when no one really should have. The instructor watched his students carefully and gave me some help as well, and I got a fast lesson in boarding the stern ladder in 8-12 foot seas. Dicey.

This site is showing 32 mph out of the northwest, not even a good day for a walk on the channel side. Wild side might be nice for Beachcombing. San Miguel de Cozumel, Mexico Weather Conditions | Weather Underground

It is odd looking out to sea and not seeing a gazillion boats just off shore. The other day it looked like the 5th fleet was down near Palancar! :)

Came back from Playa on Ultramar - here in Cozumel docking on the down current downwind side, three attempts before we were tied up - the wind is ripping down there...
I was watching that from the shore and wondering what was going on. I've never seen a ferry having that much trouble.

We have one soul that needs his last certificate dive for his OW, so we’re shipping him off to Playa tomorrow to complete his C card! Too iffy to wait it out here on CZM.

Saturday morning looks better, but another front is expected that night, so the anxious port captain may not be agreeable. Wednesday looks better.

Very uninformed question - what are the wind speed/gust numbers that are considered bad enough to close the port? I'm within a period to cancel a planned trip in two weeks and although I know forecasts are not reliable that far out, I'm not sure if I should risk it given that my travel companion was planning on doing his first dives and certification during this trip and I don't want it to be a bad experience :/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom