Portable compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good morning.

Over the past 6 months or so, I have started looking into setting up a small home compressor. Intended use is for my tanks, and maybe a friend's tank that he uses to charge a PCP air rifle. My "local" shop is about 100 miles each way, and closed on Sundays. I am not looking to save money, but time savings and convenience would be very nice. I have been looking at Coltri MCH 6 and Max Air 35 type compressors, just haven't been quite ready to pull the trigger.

Which, finally, brings me to the point of this thread. I was contacted yesterday from a neighbor, who has a compressor for sale. Compressor was bought at auction, and previous owner stated it had only been run 1 time. It is a portable, gas powered (6.5 HP) compressor. Current owner started it 1 time to make sure engine ran. The compressor has been sitting for 3-4 years, and is pretty dusty.

I know this will not be a plug in and start filling compressor. IF I jump, it will be a project, and likely wont be filling tanks for a few months. Cleanup, new filters, new oil, air test.

However, as I said, i am still very ignorant in regards to high pressure compressors. Thought I would post up here and get some recommendations.

I can likely get this compressor for $700-800. Maybe a hair less if I can state concrete reasons. Again, not looking for something for nothing. Just want to end up with a safe source of gas.

Thank you all for your time!

DW

Attachments

• 20190217_155144.jpg
    20190217_155144.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 20190217_155132.jpg
    20190217_155132.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 20190217_155124.jpg
    20190217_155124.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 313
  • 20190217_154841.jpg
    20190217_154841.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 247
looks like a Kidde compressor, unsure which size as I'm not an expert on them. Either a 2.4 or a 4.2cfm. Likely 4.2 based on the motor size. Can look them up on here as there have been several happy owners.
To me in that condition, it would be worth about $500. They were selling for ~400 coming from Jim from what I remember, but that was in guaranteed working condition

Now, the nice part of Kidde compressors is that they can be slowed down. Rix is the only other one out there that can be slowed down all the way to a crawl. Most "traditional" compressors have splash lubrication that needs speed to properly lubricate everything.
The cool part about being able to slow it down is depending on how portable you need it vs. how fast you need it to fill. You can easily put a 1-1.5hp motor on there and gear it properly to run on a 110v wall outlet if you wanted to for ultimate portability. If you set it up for home use, I would consider getting at least 2x 4500psi bank bottles to deal with the painfully slow speed, but even if you leave it at 4cfm, I would consider an electric conversion and/or bank bottles.

@tbone1004

Thanks for the reply! Being portable isn't a huge deal to me. Would you recommend additional filtration?

Yes, i have been looking into converting to an electric motor if i pick it up.

Thanks again! I am sure i will have a few more questions. This would be a big step for me, and am trying very hard to to overlook anything and do things right.

DW

@Dark Wolf I would not bother going with additional filtration. Look through @frogman62 's posts on here and you should learn everything you need to know.

If portability isn't a huge concern, and you have 220v access that will get you full speed out of it, but would still recommend getting bank bottles as you have available since 4cfm isn't very fast.

@tbone1004

I will take a look. Thanks again!

DW

Definitely a Kidde. As mentioned already, Jim Shelden was the go to on these. He has retired, but I bet he hasn’t forgot what he knows. I had a 4.2cfm Kidde, and sold it for a Bauer Jr II solely based on parts availability. The Kidde was faster than my Bauer.

Did you buy it?

How did it go?

I had a couple of these that did me proud on my learning curve.
I did go ahead and buy it. Has been a great compressor, and have only had a couple of issues. Jim helped me out with the first one, 4th stage piston got stuck. I used fine emery cloth on the cylinder walls. Currently have a second stage issue that should be a minor fix. Have started taking it down and hope to have it back up and going soon.

DW

I did go ahead and buy it. Has been a great compressor, and have only had a couple of issues. Jim helped me out with the first one, 4th stage piston got stuck. I used fine emery cloth on the cylinder walls. Currently have a second stage issue that should be a minor fix. Have started taking it down and hope to have it back up and going soon.

DW
Jim Shelden I'm still around . if you have questions Call me 316-992-0505 I have an electric Kidde with no filter and auto off ($850) that runs great.

Hello Jim,
I have a Walter Kidde compressor 4 CFM. How can I be sure that the oil pump is working because I had already 2 other WK where the crankshaft was broken (the attachment to the 1st piston). Maybe you have one in stock? I'm living in Belgium but my granddaughter is living until half June in Saratoga (San Jose)

Attachments

• IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Crankshaft.JPG
    Crankshaft.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 42

Back
Top Bottom