portable digital storage device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are quite a few comments how a CD is safer than a hard drive. I my 15 years of IT I had many CD that did not burn correctly, had write errors, or got scratched before I got home. Personally I think a hard drive MP3 player is the best way to go. I run with my Iriver 20g unit for 1 year, drop it a few times. No issues. BTW, the hard drive in the iriver is the same harddrive as in toshiba laptops.

But on the CD proponent’s side, I would think it is always a gamble of which media will make it home.

However, when I go on an extended trip, I bring my iriver to listen to music and my laptop for editing/viewing the photos. Then I copy the picts of 2 the iriver to have 2 storages of my picts for the way home.

kevreid:
The mini storage devices mentioned above would not allow for viewing of images shot in RAW, correct?
AFIK, no. But I think the new Epson one does...which RAW formats I can't seem to find an answer to definitively.

And I am not sure if some of the above will show the thumbnail file associated with the RAW file instead. I am waiting to find one that will allow me to view my Olympus RAWs before shelling out dough.

kevreid:
The mini storage devices mentioned above would not allow for viewing of images shot in RAW, correct?

Hi Kev:

The Ipod photo was my Christmas present and I am just learning how to use it. Mine has the 40gig hard drive. It will not display raw files or thumbnails (I have only used the display with Jpegs) but windows explorer will let you access the Ipod drive and download and upload any kind of file. You have to configure the Ipod to do this. I have been successful storing and transporting Canon camera raw files, so you can use it as a CF card backup storage device. I have not investigated the Belkin media reader. If you can download your CF card directly into the Ipod then it would be a great vacation companion (plays music too!!!). If you have to go through a computer, then you would just use the computer hard drive and leave the Ipod for musical entertainment.

Anone else with Ipod experience?

---Bob

I believe that all the hard drive storage devices will allow you to save pretty much any type of file then view it via your computer - the computer simply recognizes it as another drive.

Make sure that the one you get does what you want it to do and not what the nice salesperson says it will do. DH just got caught out in that buying me one for Xmas...it's going back :wink:

I've been shopping at a couple places and it seems like knowone knows what these devices are. I went to best buy and all the sales people we talked to looked at us
like we were nuts. Any places to go that i could talk to someone and get some answers??

Get online and do your research before going to the store. I have never found somewhere that actually knows these things.

When I bought my trusty Archos many many years ago I had to go and find it on the shelf myself then have the guys pull it apart to make sure I could read the manual as they couldn't answer the simplest of questions.

FWIW - for my needs I think I am at the Archos 500619 AV420 20 GB Video Player / Recorder and MP3 Jukebox Player (actually there are two or three Archos I am looking at) or the new Epson P2000.

For dive trips, I've considered getting some sort of digital storage, it would be nice not to drag the laptop around. I'd still like to view my shots at the end of each day but now that I'll be shooting in RAW I'll definately have to have the laptop to see them.

I'm probably better described as a photographer than a diver, so I too have done much research in this area.

A) The Flashtrax is C R A P!!!

B) Your best option is to do research into the various models in your range and find the one with the highest transfer rate. That is all that truly matters. Review screens and such are a waste IMO.

If you really want a review screen look into something unconventional like an RCA Lyra.

Also (SORRY SB!) go here and look around, it is a photographer site and probably more in tune with the information you are looking for. Here is a direct link to the forum with info on this subject.

dpreview is an excellent site and has a great review on the Epson. From what I have seen this is the only possible if you want to use it for review at all.

I don't. I'll have my laptop and hate to edit on that even!

I need MP3, storage and the ability to download/watch movies/shows etc, I've decided. None of the models that fit the above I can find support Oly Raw so that is a non-issue now. All will let me load my RAW files just as on any hard-drive...just can't see 'em :wink:

Back
Top Bottom