Portage Quarry closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brahma

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi-

I searched all the forums for "Portage Quarry" and found most posts here, so I'm posting this thread here.

There is a rumor that has been started that Portage Quarry is closing, and that people are already begining to dump trash in the water. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks-

B.

Who started that? The quarry is open as usual and no there is nothing in the water.There is nothing to it. visability has been 100 feet all winter. and is still there. Call the Quarry when you want to know something or go on the web page.

Portage was open this past weekend and the diving was perfect. A little chilly still but the vis was amazing. We circled the entire quarry and didnt see anything new and certainly not any trash. All looks good there and they have much scheduled throughout the season. Looking forward to another great season there.

Hello to All
Well the rumors have finally hit Scubaboard. So let me go ahead and give the truth rather than all the lies. There are those that would love for the Portage Quarry to close however to their Great Disappointment let me tell you all " PORTAGE QUARRY IS NOT CLOSING" : NOR IS THERE ANY TRASH BEING PUSHED INTO THE QUARRY" The land has been bought and that is all. He is using a portion of the back wall for his business but the rest of the Quarry and all else is being run by the same staff as before. All events are still on the schedule for all to enjoy and the beach is open for the Brave at heart to try out the early spring temps. I will be diving this weekend and you are all welcome to come and see for yourselves that the Quarry Diving is great . The Viz has been outstanding and the temps are in the lower 40's. The air station is open but we are having one compressor is being rebuilt( just another sign of us being open) so we are pumping from one compressor. We truly hope you all will come to one of our events. This years Legends Event will feature the History of Dacor with Valarie vanHeest and her dad Robert Olsen, Gary Divison ( son of Sam Davison Founder of Dacor) and Victor Worst (U.S. Navy diver (ret) and owner of the oldest dive shop on the East coast, Aqua Sports ) August 13th -15th. And don't forget our Parrot Head weekend which features Parrots Of The Caribbean- The number#1 Jimmy Buffett tribute band is the United States. That will be August 7th and on that Friday we will be having Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy playing on the 12x12 bigscreen on the concert stage. Bring your lawn chairs and join us for a great weekend. See more of the events at the Portage Quarry website under EVENTS.

Someone told me that supposedly had inside information. Thanks for clearing that up.

DeepSeaDiver- Is there a new owner? Is it you? I heard the lease was up on the existing owner, and the junkyard that owned the property was going to use it as a dump, and had started doing so. What "business" is going on at the back wall? That never looked too much like a good place for an office to me... :D

I'm definately not one who would want it closed- many good times and friends there. I was just horrified to hear the news. Thanks for clarifying the situation.

Thanks!

B.

I don't know who started the rumor, but it is totally false. I have been there just about every weekend since May. People are diving and enjoying it as usual. Like everyone else, I find the water clear and clean. No TRASH. Just plain CLEAN water. The viz last week was clear from wing tip to wing tip on th plane and beyond.

I am looking forward to all the upcoming events, starting with the Country Blowout on the 4th, followed by the DAN BAR BQ Treasure Hunt on the 17th and 18th.

Come up and see for yourself. The diving is still great.

My boyfriend and I were thinking of heading down there this coming weekend. While we were out at White Star Last weekend, we met a diver who said a person he talked to said that the viability was terrible. I looked on the site for the water temps and vis, but they haven't been updated since the end of June.

To the person who posted before me, did you go to Portage this past weekend? How was it and what were the water temps?

GreatLakesAngel,

Yes we did. The Viz was down sime due to the number of divers. I found the water temp to remain about 67 until passing thru 30'. Other than that it was great as usual. I don't know why the web has been updated, but the board has been updated.

I want to go for my first time this summer..or early fall, but When does the water temp get in the high 70's or 80's. I couldn't stand 67..brrrr.
Someone mentioned White Star..does the temp there get warmer?

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is a quarry, not the Caribbean. It is a old limestone quarry, and as such will be cool. We have dove in other quarries in Ohio and the only one we have had in the 70-80 range is Circleville Twin Quarries. Of course you must shove you hand and depth gauge into the muck on the bottom to get 20 feet, but it does get a lot warmer than Portage, Gilboa, or White Starr.

We have dove several cenotes in the Yuctan Area, and we have need had one on the 80's. You need to remember that ground water is normally only 55.

Have a great summer and enjoy the diving season.

Back
Top Bottom