Poseidon Xstreams with turret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bison Ravi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
If there is someone in the know, or if there is a Poseidon rep reading this, I'd be really interested to know if there is a plan to make the Xstream MK3 first stage with a turret?

I love the design of the MK3 but without a turret/fifth port it's not optimal for sidemount.

Jorgen, the 5th port is in reference to the port on the bottom of the Apeks DST and its clones.

Bison, we've been asking for over a decade, it is frankly a lost cause, Poseidon has basically sold out to the recreational market at this point. It's unfortunate because the turret style first stage offers superior twin-set hose routing as well as sidemount, and makes CCR diving a lot easier as well.

Best scenario is to take a first stage of your choice, remove the environmental seal, add an OPV *assuming you already went away from the absolutely ridiculously priced Poseidon hoses*, and have a tech who is certified on both pieces of equipment to tune them properly. That's how I've been diving mine for the past 6 years in sidemount. Stick the Poseidon first stages *which are brilliant, just the wrong design for the way the industry is headed*, and use them for deco/stage bottles. That's what most of the guys that I know that are still diving them have done. They sat in boxes for years while we waited for them to open up the distribution channels for parts in the US, they came out of the boxes about 3 years ago, but most aren't in matching pairs anymore.

Jorgen, I really meant what tbone1004 said, a bottom port. Anyways, looks like it isn't in the plans.
Thanks for the information anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The biggest and most important part of mixing first stages with the Jetstream and Xstream other than making sure you tune the second stages on their respective first stages after the IP has been tuned down, is that you MUST remove the environmental seal if it has one. No exceptions. The overbalancing that happens with all of the sealed diaphragm regs will ruin the beautiful breathing of the Poseidons as the IP goes up with depth.

I'm still thinking about it but I might use a low pressure first stage swivel on my left hand tank, even if I don't think it's ideal. Or just keep my ST1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

they can work fine in sidemount, just have to adjust your thinking a bit. You can run "short ish" LPI hoses straight up and they will route just fine to your drysuit and wing. The reason for the extensive use of the 5th port when the Razor first came out was because of the single bungee. This held the tank valves almost directly in front of your shoulders so they had to come out at an angle. Now that Steve Martin has gone to loop bungees, you can quite easily run the LPI hose from the same side as the short hose, and just have them coming straight up. The right bottle with the long hose can run a normal length drysuit inflator and turn it back up the tank. This is how Edd teaches his students. Without a turret you can just use all of the hoses as "fixed".

The 5th port isn't nearly as big of a deal as the rotating turret. The other nice thing in sidemount is the extra weight of the heavier first stages helps with trim. Poseidon made the MK3's and its predecessors incredible small and light compared to others on the market which is a godsend in twin-sets, but is backwards for sidemount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom