Positively buoyant Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trpltongue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

I'm very new to diving having only 2 dives after my Open Water Diver course, but I'm wondering if there are any positively buoyant Jet style fins available aside from UTD?

I'm in Qatar so shipping a pair of UTD's over here is $250 and not practical :) I can get Cressi, Mares, Scubapro, etc. but just not sure if any of them would actually be positively buoyant?

I know the OMS slipstreams are WAY lighter, but I've seen that they are still neutral to slightly negative. I'm looking for a fin that will actually help lift my feet, but still have the power and maneuverability of a jet.

Does such a fin exist, or should I just shove some extra neoprene in a jet fin along with my 5mil boots :) ?

Thanks Shotmaster. Do you find the Novas equivalent in terms of propulsion and control to normal Jet fins? I tried several split fins and solid fins during my first 8 dives, but preferred the power and control of the Jets. I was able to naturally backup and turn with the jet fins, but struggled to do the same with the others. I know it's technique :) but I loved that the jets just seemed to work (even without me knowing what I was doing).

Hollis F2s...

Thanks! Just read that the F2's are slightly positively buoyant even in fresh water! Is that true? That could be great for me.

The Slipstreams are probably the closest to the Jets in terms of shape and performance and are great for the precise positioning kicks. I'm wondering why you feel the need to have a fin that will lift your feet, especially this early in your diving career. I'm guessing your posture is more of an issue than your fins, and that will improve with practice.

(In spite of my skinny old man legs and in a 3mm suit, I have no problem keeping my feet up in Slipstream XLs with spring straps.)

Last edited:
The Novas give good propulsion, they are not quite as fast as my jets if go all out as they are softer if you load them up using your hip thrusters. If I make larger and slower kicks they give great thrust. Since they are softer you can overload them if you are accustomed to the stiffer jet fins. Once I figured it out, I like the way they work. Think of it as running a long way versus sprinting, if you plan on doing a lot finning the Novas feel like they are more efficient and feel like a fish tail at everything but full out speed. I chase fish both free dive and on scuba, I have a very accurate and longer range speargun and don't have to get right up on fish like a more traditional gun, so I don't have to work as hard as I once did. My legs don't feel as fatigued after a day of hunting using the Novas. They worth checking out.

I have a pair of the Apeks RK3 fins. They do not float but are not so negative as others. They are my default fins now, unless I am on a twinset when I use Hollis F1s as I am quite head heavy.

I tried the Hollis F2s in the pool but they seemed to be lacking in traction.

One way to test fin thrust is to swim vertical and see how high out of the water you can get your body. You will also feel where the stress points are in your body, ankles, knees, hips. This test destroys people's claims about fin performance. You can easily compare fins and have something as a standard to go by. It also gives a quick identification on comfort. I found the Novas to be a good compromise between all out performance and comfort. The vertical swim test is the best way to compare fins. After that some people may need something because they may use a particular finning technique like frog kicking for cave diving and choose something that works better for that application. I have tested some fins that I consider dangerous as you can't get enough thrust to swim against even mild currents. Hope you find this helpful.

Also, I have been using Scubapro Jet Fins for 43 years. They are hard to beat. If I knew I was making a dive with a lot of current, I would take my Jets instead of the Novas until I have a lot more time using the Novas than I do right now. Since you have the industry standard already, take your time and look for something a little different. My recommendation is to keep diving your jets and gain more experience and when you get the chance ask other divers if you can do a quick vertical test with their fins. A good time to do this is when between dives waiting out surface interval.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom