Possibilities of a DIR-F??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aww crud, the board ate my post!!!!
Okay, I'm not re-typing it all, so here's the Cliff's Notes version:

-I think the original vision of LED has been lost

-If people cannot commit to being in a club, then they should bow out (no shame in it)

-We need to have more club dives/activities. God knows that I know time/money can be tight at times, but we have to do something

-It's not about the money for the site, I could care less about the money or the site as long as the club was striving to be the best it could

-Sorry if anyone got offended, I'm just very intense about my hobbies and have been under a lot more stress than usual

I'm open for more ideas but I can't be the only one to think them up!! I join you for a dive to deep run, but you go too early for me!! But I do want to get there b4 it closes.

Here's my ideas:
Wednesday Night drift dive with Discover Diving.
Dive to Deep Run
Boat Dive thru Discover Diving out to Lake Erie
Brockville/Kingston dive
Aquarius Divers Boat dive to wherever. He has a trailered boat.

Anyone else?

OK, I'll bite. It was my understanding that LED was started as a loose association of divers in this area whom, for various reasons, didn't have access to regular dive buddies or couldn't continue to spend $$ for dive charters where you could end up with just anyone for a buddy. I thought our intent was to try to meet others that we could hook up a dive with, then leave an open invitation to all LED's to join us. I'm probably wrong, but this is what I thought.

Yes, I would like to see more activities planned. I do want to dive with you guys (and Gals). I would do my best to attend. However, I am employed. I have to keep my job. Unfortunatly I work 3pm - 11pm, I also work weekends. I do not have the same days off every week. I like to dive but I also have expenses, I need to keep my job. If someone would like to plan something for a weekday at 9am, I might be able to go. No guarantees though, remember, my days off are never the same.

If I am even remotely close as to why we formed this club, then it is inherently flawed. We are trying to get people with different lifestyles and schedules to be at the same place at the same time. Expectations run high, results vary. I don't think it's anyones fault, it's just who we are.

Derek- YES, we should be helping with the costs of maintaining the site. Dues, Fees? I don't know what the answer is but if you PM me with your address I'll send you $20. I want to be a part of this and I want to share the expense. I also share your frustration but I am doing the best that I can. Also, I wish I could do a DIR-F course right now but I cant. I do appreciate your asking. Yet another reason we formed the club.

Derek and Heather - Sorry your thread was hijacked. An additional apology to Heather, I don't understand why some of the posts were so condecending. We know each other here (sort of). We should treat each other better. We can get that kind of crud out there on the rest of the board, we don't need to do it here.

If you want a rebreather and thats what you want to spend your money on, then go for it. Should you want to ask us for our opinion please do (although apparently we just freely give it here whether you want it or not). The post was about Derek's inquire, not about your thoughts on a rebreather. Why that happened I don't know.

I apoligize to each of you if this post sounds too nasty, I'm tired and probably should have slept before posting. But I'm sort of ticked at the way Heather was treated in DEREKS THREAD! I don't know what the answer is but if we have a natural born leader amongst us, now is your time to shine. I like you all and hope we can get together soon.

Ken

hnladue:
I'm open for more ideas but I can't be the only one to think them up!! I join you for a dive to deep run, but you go too early for me!! But I do want to get there b4 it closes.

Here's my ideas:
Wednesday Night drift dive with Discover Diving.
Dive to Deep Run
Boat Dive thru Discover Diving out to Lake Erie
Brockville/Kingston dive
Aquarius Divers Boat dive to wherever. He has a trailered boat.

Anyone else?

Brockville on Labor Day weekend? We still have four seats open :) .

Drift with DD, see thread titled "Aug 31 Drift Dive with DD" in LED forum

Ken

Derek S:
-If people cannot commit to being in a club, then they should bow out (no shame in it)

Well, I guess I'll take that road then.

I guess I was under the same impression as Ken.

I have too many irons in the fire to make anymore commitments. It seems like I have something lined up already when a dive gets planned, but hey that's life, and people can't put their lives on hold.

Derek, I hope you find what you looking for, but with my course schedule, I'm pretty much out the rest of the season. So I'm going to do the graceful thing, and bow out.

If you want PM me, and I'll send some money to help.

Hopefully I'll run into you guys & gals sometime.

Eric

nauidiver2004:
OK, I'll bite. It was my understanding that LED was started as a loose association of divers in this area whom, for various reasons, didn't have access to regular dive buddies or couldn't continue to spend $$ for dive charters where you could end up with just anyone for a buddy. I thought our intent was to try to meet others that we could hook up a dive with, then leave an open invitation to all LED's to join us. I'm probably wrong, but this is what I thought.

Yes, I would like to see more activities planned. I do want to dive with you guys (and Gals). I would do my best to attend. However, I am employed. I have to keep my job. Unfortunatly I work 3pm - 11pm, I also work weekends. I do not have the same days off every week. I like to dive but I also have expenses, I need to keep my job. If someone would like to plan something for a weekday at 9am, I might be able to go. No guarantees though, remember, my days off are never the same.

<snip>
Derek and Heather - Sorry your thread was hijacked. An additional apology to Heather, I don't understand why some of the posts were so condecending. We know each other here (sort of). We should treat each other better. We can get that kind of crud out there on the rest of the board, we don't need to do it here.

Rick,

I am another 2nd shifter who works weekends. I feel your pain :) .

I happen to agree with how Derek and Heather were treated in this thread. That is why I said something earlier about expired equines. The GLWC still has similar threads and be aware that the membership is it's own police, much like what happened here.

We have a lot less tolerance there for "nit-pick" type arguements and I know from other friendships that the Florida Conchs don't have the tolerance for it either.

Good for you for sticking up for the right ideas about your forum in here.

Brian

It makes sense for you and your life. Who can argue with that?

I like diving, too, but it's only one aspect of my life. My life doesn't revolve around diving, it's something I do, at the moment, to relax and to meet people. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to dive every day, but real life gets in the way of that. Perhaps if I lived in FL where it'd be easier to dive weekends or after work I'd think of things differently.

I try to keep a balance in my life. Diving fits into it's own neat corner of my life for now. Maybe when I get more time, and money it'll occupy more space in my life. Having said that, I intend on taking the DIR-F class at Gilboa next month. I'm not the best diver who ever strapped a tank to his back, but this class seems to offer the real meat and potatoes of diving that I'm hungry for. Just maybe I'll become a better diver after taking it.

As for the re-breather. I’d love to learn how they work and how to dive with one but not enough to spend the money on equipment or training for the thing.

Sorry for jumping into your thread...

Randy

Derek S:
That's great that you're planning on learning it Brian, but in all honesty, how often are you going to be able to make the trek this way? Once a month? Not exactly enough to make me want to buy a rebreather even if I felt I was ready for one (which I'm not).

I understand what you guys are saying, I really do. But stating that buying a rebreather will save you money in the long run is like saying that buying your own gasoline company will save you money in the long run. Who has $4K to just drop all at once on a rebreather? Technically I do (not if I want to stay married...and I guess I do
04.gif
), but I'm not going to spend 4 large on a rebreather, when so much more could be done with that money.

Making trimix is only really expensive if you're paying for it from the LDS. It can be mixed at home for a lot less. This might not be an option for some people for different reasons, but it is a potential solution. I understand the whole thing with lugging around PST130s, but who says you always need 260CuFt of gas?

Heather, what about a drysuit? I hope nobody plans on diving a rebreather without one, or it'll be an even more expensive proposition because you'll only be using the rebreather during the summer months.

I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but I don't believe that having "3 hours of gas supply instead of 20 minutes" is the solution to the problem. Your buddy is your redundant gas supply, and if you're in a situation where you'd need more than 20 minutes of back gas for deco or to "fix things when you-know-what hits the fan":

1 - You might need a better buddy
2 - You should be chosing the appropriate gear for the dive
3 - You should be doing less aggressive dives

LED people - I'm not trying to sound like an arse, I apologize if I am. I was simply hoping to create some bonding, some unity with our members. We seemed all gung-ho in the winter, but since then things have fallen apart. I've always been willing to make any meeting or dive (with the exception of the last one, son's b-day, nothing I could do), but but there haven't been any. I've been fronting the LED site costs myself because the club was something I believed in, but it doesn't seem to be working that way.

Please, LEDs, show me I'm wrong. If I can make it out to dive with my work schedule, anyone can. Next thing you know it'll be cold again and only the truly hardcore (or is that crazy?
03.gif
) divers like myself will be out once the mercury starts really dropping.

I've sent a PM to LIT (Eric) and asked him to recind the 'I'll bow out' portion of his last post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom