Possible Future Diver with PTSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdwardMH

Registered
Reaction score
Cutting and pasting a couple posts of mine from other threads as they seem better suited here.

I am Edward Henry a 100% Permanent and Total Service Connected but not Combat Related Disabled Veteran.

I can swim just enough to not drown and takes 3 times the effort of decent swimmers to swim forward LOL I am strongly considering taking scuba lessons for exercise and PTSD/Stress relief at DiVentures in Springfield, Mo. (Is this a good idea? I am a slow learner due to my PTSD but once a concept locks into my mind I tend to remember it (Just takes longer than some folks). They told me about Dive Pirates for Veterans with mobility issues but they are for amputees and wheelchair bound Veterans and I am neither, (all the organizations that help Veterans I have found so far are for Combat Veterans only are there any that you know of that can help me get started with gear or class fees)? I have balance issues but can get around with out much aid though I do have a Service Dog for my PTSD and balance issues. (does the reason for the PTSD have bearing on learning to dive)? I am just trying to find something fun to do instead of sitting around the house on the computer all the time. My PTSD causes me to loose interest in many things so looking for new ones in the hopes a few stay interesting, so far only Metal detecting and Astronomy have kept my interest.

another cut and paste

Ok, official status update.....
the VA Doctors here refuse to sign off on the medical release form NOT for medical reasons but LIABILITY. One Dr. Told me the only reason for the medical release form is so the instructor and student do not have to take responsibility if something goes wrong and they can sue the Dr. She told me I should just sign a notarized statement that says I take full responsibility for any mishaps and stop looking for someone else to blame.... I was shocked and worried because that still does not tell me MEDICALLY if I am fit physically or mentally to learn Scuba. And this was just for the Try Scuba class not the full heading to open Water class. Trying to find a local Civilian Doctor that understand PTSD to let them go over my medical records for a decision. Oh the same day the VA Dr. Told me that she would not fill out the release form she told me I could stay off my medications (Was taken off medications to see if it was the cause of my glucose level being high. (I am also by my own testing borderline diabetic and High blood pressure but on no medication for either. The ONLY medication I am taking is Omeprazole to control stomach acid. So no medications to be an issue at this time. (Service Dog helps a lot).

Any suggestions where to start? Am I wasting my time? Any advice or opinions welcomed.

thank you,
Edward (AstroEd/FiddlerEd/soon be ScubaEd or DiverEd?) Henry

Edward,

Check this out
I don't know if Disabled Sports USA or CAF works with non-combat related disabilities, though I'm fairly certain they work with just about everyone. Look into those as well.

I'm 100% total disabled but employable (PTSD + left below-knee amputation).
I work on an island in the Pacific (between Hawaii and Guam).

Got certified for Open Water in August 2013. AOW in September. Nitrox sometime in March.
I just did my 85th dive yesterday.

PTSD isn't a boiler plate diagnosis so I don't know what the cause of your PTSD is, what all you're dealing with or what sets you off.
If there was trauma involved have you been evaluated by the VA for TBI? That seems to be the current trend of misdiagnosis in the VA. PTSD, from my experience, was the more or less the blanket diagnosis within the VA until around 2005-ish when they started seeing Traumatic Brain Injury had similar symptoms. I know there is a lot of hesitation to get re-evaluated for something else by the VA due to the fear of having a rating reduced. I think once people get 100% it doesn't really matter unless it has a direct impact on ongoing treatment.

I have absolutely no issues related to my PTSD when diving. There have been times I have gotten a little stressed out but it was more my fault and problems I caused by not being careful enough. I'd say a lot of it depends on your overall personality/demeanor. If you're laid back and don't generally panic in the water, you should be ok.

I have minor issues with my physical disability but nothing that keeps me out of the water by any stretch.

If you're looking for scuba as exercise, you may want to consider another sport. It's relaxing. If someone gets a workout from diving they're probably doing it wrong. The way I understand it, you want to limit the amount of work you put into it as much as possible. Limiting your movement as much as possible to just simply propulsion. If you're all over the place flapping and kicking you're raising your heart rate, increasing your breathing, and burning gas quicker which shortens your dive time. My take on diving is relax, float, check stuff out and try to stay under as long as possible to get the most out of a tank of gas. I've actually started exercising more out of the water in hopes of increasing my cardio so I don't get as gassed from doing simple movements in the water. That's been almost my only motivation for going to the gym.

Get evaluated by a physician, and not a VA one. I don't put any stock in VA physicians for anything more than taking my pulse and temperature.
That medical release should ensuring your are physically capable in an underwater environment. It should have nothing to do with mental. I don't remember what it says on it but PTSD should not be a disqualifier and the VA should be working WITH you, not against you. Sounds typical of that organization, but unfortunately it's the only one we have. I'm pretty sure if there is a question about anything mental it's more geared toward "intellectual disability". You could always speak with someone from PADI regarding that part of the release form as well as seeing if they know of any other organizations that work with vets.

Well... that was a lot longer than expected. Hope this helped though.

Well as a Marine Vietnam Vet with PTSD I find diving to be a great resource for stress release. Fun and relaxing.

Yeah... it's only as stressful as you let it be or make it.
It at least partly depends on what type and level people you dive with, how thorough you are in your predive checks and planning, how well you maintain your equipment, familiarity with the dive site, comfort with your skills, and how much pressure you put on yourself.

I stress myself out more than I should over buoyancy and air conservation. Aside from that it can definitely be relaxing.

Hi there

I think that I may have replied to one of your previous posts.

The fact that you are off medication should make doctors far less uncomfortable about signing you off to dive. I also hope that this will help a lot with blood glucose issues and hopefully your doggie will help increase your exercise and further help.

I just want to say that diving should be hugely helpful. Don't worry about gear...Have you thought about sponsorship for fees....community help for seniors , you did after all go into service for your country.

Xx

I think correlating the text book symptoms of PTSD with any activity could allow an "examining physician" to prohibit people from doing almost anything. This could prevent people from engaging in/returning to a healthy, active lifestyle.
The decision is largely subjective to the doctor who is essentially handed the power to essentially strip a vet of their right to be themselves.

Most physicians have no business diagnosing PTSD and also more than likely have no clue about the science behind diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay in returning to this Thread First off thank you for your great repies, I took my Try Scuba Class today and while I was not perfect I think I did very well and my instructor says she did not see me have any issues that I did not fix on my own., I want to take the OW cert. class but now I have another issue to ask about...
Service Dogs any of you divers have one? And if so what do you do with them on a Dive?. I do not know anyone with a boat to train Smokey to relax and behave on one. do you have someone remaining on the boat watch your service Dog, Kennel the dog for the dives or what?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom