Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately we cannot change without losing a ton of money so we’re going in November. Just really disappointed that they’ve closed some of my all time favorite sites and they’ll be closed for my wife’s first time diving there.

And it’s all for nothing. This does nothing to address the problems and punishes divers. SMH at the government and this knee jerk reaction.
You can whine all you want, but in the end you and the wife will have a very enjoyable trip together!

Personally - I do not see this lasting for more than 2 - 3 months -

Carnival was busted for dumping in US waters, essentially while docked at Port. Once the ship is outside of state (3 miles) and federal (12 miles) they are free to, and do, dump human sewage and food waste.

A ship leaving Roatan heading to Cozumel will be dumping the whole way up.

Added to that is the sewage being dumped directly into the water from the beach clubs in the south.

You can whine all you want, but in the end you and the wife will have a very enjoyable trip together!

Absolutely we will still have an awesome vacation. Just disappointed she won’t be able to dive Palancar Caves and some of the best swim throughs.

Oh well, nothing we can do :banghead:

For 60 years, I have been told I need to do this and do that so we can put more people on this blue ball. I think the blue ball is going to take care of itself.
True. We as a species, and many other species might not be on it though. There have been more than a few mass extinction and near extinction (in the case of humans) events in the past.

That doesn't do any good for those of us that have booked trips in those 2-3 months.

And now the big unknown is if they will do this again. Should I rebook to April and risk pseudoscience popping up again? Or do I go to Bonaire where I dont have to risk this nonsense?

I cannot imagine how this will affect the southern hotels, condos and all of the restaurants. While the officials are doing everything possible to accommodate and encourage the cruise ships, once evening rolls in, they are gone. Only so much business can be done during lunchtime hours.

Exactly.. EVERYONE on the island knows that DIVERS (and other travelers) who stay on the island are the ones who support the local community beyond the 1 block the cruise ship tourons vomit on. No local business owner within 1 block of the waterfront cares because there is no local business owner operating within 1 block of the waterfront who isn't paying a fortune in rent and isn't fully dependent on cruise ship traffic. Further back where the divers spend their $ the impact of this will be felt. However, I could be wrong. Perhaps divers now represent such a small component of the overall Cozumel economy that may now be 99% cruse ship based we all move on to other destinations. While the dive ops would fold up more beach clubs will sprout up in our absence.

I wouldn't plan a vacation based on that.

Is there anyway where we can send complaints to, so that they know that they are hurting the economy in Cozumel? Preferably something both in Cozumel and at the CONANP.

The beach clubs are gross. I was at one and saw the raw sewage in the water and the pipes running from the club out to the water to discharge. The water was not clear and blue like out on the reef but was turbid with floating ground up toilet paper. Once I realized what we were in I got my family out, showered and then jumped in the equally gross clorinated pool to disinfect.

Back
Top Bottom