Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely we will still have an awesome vacation. Just disappointed she won’t be able to dive Palancar Caves and some of the best swim throughs.

Oh well, nothing we can do :banghead:

Think of it like this. You'll have a really good reason to bring her back when they re-open those southern reefs.

The beach clubs are gross. I was at one and saw the raw sewage in the water and the pipes running from the club out to the water to discharge. The water was not clear and blue like out on the reef but was turbid with floating ground up toilet paper. Once I realized what we were in I got my family out, showered and then jumped in the equally gross clorinated pool to disinfect.
You live in NJ?

The beach clubs are gross. I was at one and saw the raw sewage in the water and the pipes running from the club out to the water to discharge. The water was not clear and blue like out on the reef but was turbid with floating ground up toilet paper. Once I realized what we were in I got my family out, showered and then jumped in the equally gross clorinated pool to disinfect.

Ew. I don't think I'm getting into the water at any more beach surface intervals. Let's just rock gently at sea for an hour.

I'm still wondering compared to other warm water destinations, is it worthwhile to book at trip with the closers?

You live in NJ?
I do. Northern NJ. The beach club where the sewage was seen was in Cozumel this past August. One of the ones near Palancar with the floating bouncy rides in the water.

Lots of pollution going into the waters especially with the exponential growth in this area. Its peculiar that the most damaged reefs are north of the southern resorts in the marine park. Closing the reefs wont do much. Here is an interesting video on Tulum which applies to the whole Area...

Gawd.... Crap like this pisses me off. Yes..., most of it is probably correct. BUT! When the narrator says that the trash problem can easily be taken care of with "water,heat and pressure, does as the earth does" is a bunch of BS. The heat is burning the waste. The pressure is turning the water into steam. What is not mentioned is that many plastics and wastes don't burn efficiently and create even bigger biohazards. Let's not suggest a "solve all" idea that doesn't address the downsides.

OK - I think we should plan a week long diving excursion covering Isolte to Palancar - Dave ain't in town and Memo's in Mexico City, all we have to do is feed Gato and he'll take us anywhere, heck we can probably do a live aboard on the one boat.

Contact your favorite dive shops, those that live here and those that will be here the first week of October - let's dive and document the reefs they are closing, do it again when they re open - see what really changed.

For as much as I hope there is some kind of change in the outcome, I didn't get that sense at the meeting today. I seen smiles and nods when other problems were brought up but that's it... and some problems weren't even brought up due to what I was told was pressure - outsiders will never understand the complete inner workings.....

In the mean time, while it seems that those that can are trying something, those of us that can't - let's just go diving!!!

The closure is planned to go into effect October 7 .

This is why I don't buy lottery tickets. We are arriving on the 5th and are planning our first boat dive on the 7th.

This is going to be awfully strange to the fishes who are used to seeing many divers every day and then, suddenly, nothing.

What a mess. Sadly it’s all about the almighty Dollar. I believe that at one point, a dive shop owner and member of the local dive and sports shops, mentioned that they were not consulted. Very disappointed that this group, was not given the opportunity to contribute information before they drafted the mandate.
Based on those facts, I am convince that to the powers to be, don’t give a dam. It’s just a dog and pony show, again the almighty dollar that ends up in the pockets of the powers to be, rules.
Bye Mexico, Hello Belize, Bahamas ...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom