Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see where it can be a big problem if your members cannot discuss things privately without worry of it being made public. The result will be people just won't say anything at all. And then new ideas (and solutions) don't get implemented.

To be fair to Jen, I didn't think she specifically said this leak was inaccurate just a general note of caution because leaks are often inaccurate.
EXACTLY ReefHound!! There are often very sensitive discussions that doesn't concern the public or even "regular" customers.

I wasn't up in arms about this being leaked on Friday or even necessarily discussed. I think it concerns everyone and of course it was never intended to be kept secret. My concern was that information posted in our private ANOAAT Members chat group was quoted word for word in this original post - which makes me wonder what other confidential info is shared with Gary (gopbroek).
And of course his info was accurate, it came from the ANOAAT President as soon as he was aware of it and shared it with us - I never said it wasn't accurate - that was @JenLoves2Dive
Finally, read it again. I didn't say you took my seat - I was not on the island. But I know others who could not get in.
Don't misquote me, please? I said they (the original poster from Texas) had no way of knowing if it was inaccurate or accurate until the final formal announcement took place on Monday and you never know if changes might be made before then. I also said that using Google translator is highly inaccurate and the messages were in Spanish. I said: "Discussion is of course, fair - but sadly so much misinformation takes place when you don't have all the information to begin with - real facts will be forthcoming after the meeting"
My point was the official announcement and facts were to be announced on Monday and I was only asking for people to wait to hear it from the official sources. Thank you.

Don't misquote me, please? I said they (the original poster from Texas) had no way of knowing if it was inaccurate or accurate until the final formal announcement took place on Monday and you never know if changes might be made before then. I also said that using Google translator is highly inaccurate and the messages were in Spanish. I said: "Discussion is of course, fair - but sadly so much misinformation takes place when you don't have all the information to begin with - real facts will be forthcoming after the meeting"
My point was the official announcement and facts were to be announced on Monday and I was only asking for people to wait to hear it from the official sources. Thank you.
Sorry Jen - I stand corrected.

Looks like I was wrong. Go to 13:15 in the video and they say it can be treated with antibiotics. Back to the video to see how that is done. Looks like more study is needed. I only made it to around 21:16 on the video.

EXACTLY ReefHound!! There are often very sensitive discussions that doesn't concern the public or even "regular" customers.

I wouldn't worry about the confidentiality of your chat group, this got out because it was mega huge news. Unless something else of this magnitude is posted, I doubt anyone is going to talk about what is discussed in your chat group.

Wow. Just wow. All this discussion about who was at the meeting or who knew about the meeting. Why don't you all put your energies together and work towards a solution like finding the cause.

If it is on coral near every cruise ship stop is that at least a starting point? Unfortunately I don't see any island willing to turn the ships away, albeit at their ultimate demise.

Locals don't realize that the reason people come down there is because of the beauty and when that is all gone we will move on to another paradise to destroy.

Why don't you all put your energies together and work towards a solution like finding the cause.

If you watch the video above it appears that folks in Florida are doing just that.

I wasn't up in arms about this being leaked on Friday or even necessarily discussed. I think it concerns everyone and of course it was never intended to be kept secret. My concern was that information posted in our private ANOAAT Members chat group was quoted word for word in this original post - which makes me wonder what other confidential info is shared with Gary (gopbroek).

And of course his info was accurate, it came from the ANOAAT President as soon as he was aware of it and shared it with us - I never said it wasn't accurate.

Finally, read it again. I didn't say you took my seat - I was not on the island. But I know others who could not get in.

Sorry didn't realize it was an ANOAAT thing and quoted from there - it just came off as wrong to me at the time - I understand now. I had heard a very shorthand amount of info days before but told no one, not even my wife and was suprised to see it out there - actually I was happy because I hoped the uproar might have changed the direction, it didn't, so here we are...... :( Sometimes I do wear a tinfoil hat LOL

I love this place, the people, the diving, the atmosphere - everything but the ADO drivers, them guys need their license revoked. I've had so many issues at my house that I stopped diving and have only been in the water a few times the last few months - construction just gonna have to be put on hold I suppose!!!

You know I appreciate ANOAAT, I wish most all the shops could find a way to join together - you all are fiesty bunch though. I really hope something more than a vacation comes out of this - maybe it will help bring other things to peoples attention, until then, just dive where ever we can!

Wow. Just wow. Locals don't realize that the reason people come down there is because of the beauty and when that is all gone we will move on to another paradise to destroy.

Uhhh... NO!.

Over 4 Million of people come to Cozumel each year on cruise ships, ONLY because it is cheaper to go on a cruise than it is to stay the same length of time in a Red Roof Inn (or Motel 6) for vacation AND THE FOOD IS INCLUDED. The vast majority of those people don't go snorkeling or diving or eat in town or meet the "locals" or visit the island's most interesting places. They are not on Cozumel to enjoy the beauty, the culture, the people, the food or anything else. They are here only because it was a stop included in the cruise itinerary. Hell, they don't even know where they are; ask them and they will say they are on a port-of-call in "the Caribbean". They did not take a six-day cruise to stay six hours in Cozumel!

The main source of income from tourism in Cozumel is no longer from diving or family vacations, IT IS FROM CRUISE SHIPS.

I long for the past, when people came to Cozumel to experience the island and its people, but those days are long gone, just like Roy Rodgers, Huntley/Brinkley, Hippies and the Rolling Stones.

Wait! My bad. The Stones are still hanging on. Thank God for small favors!

Back
Top Bottom