• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Possible southern reef closure

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by gopbroek, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Steelyeyes

Steelyeyes Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    They keep the algae on the reefs to a dull roar. The latest die off in Bonaire shows how good they are to have around. Greenish yellow algae in the shallows and lots of red algae on the corals. I'd rather dodge urchins.

2. mcpowell

mcpowell Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Are the northern reefs healthy?

3. ChrisM

ChrisM Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Well that is a huge bummer. Essentially wipes out all first dives and will put huge pressure on dalila north..... and if recovery is their goal three months is not going to do anything.

JenLoves2Dive and MMM like this.
  4. RTC'83

RTC'83 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I know that “we” need to do something, is the one that the authorities planning the answer? Based on what I read, probably not. Unfortunately can a plan be put in place that can be comprehensive enough to make a differences?

5. Christi

Christi PADI MSDT/Dive op owner ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I’m
    Curious as to how YOU saw this? You are not a “member” of ANOAAT and as stated, the announcement has not been made and we MEMBERS of ANOAAT are taking measures to stop this. But now you have shared something publicly that a) was obviously not for you b) that is not yet official or Meant for public consumption and c) a topic that you have only partial information about

tiger1974, JenLoves2Dive and ChuckP like this.
  6. JenLoves2Dive

JenLoves2Dive Barracuda

THANK YOU CHRISTI!
    I would ask that Scuba Board take this post down until formal and final statements are released. I do not understand how someone outside the ANOAAT group and the Marine Park thought it was all right to make such a public statement when they are not involved in this process and the meeting hasn't even been held yet and no final decisions have been made.
    Not to mention that any statement released would have most certainly been made in Spanish??
    So is this a translation someone posted?

ANY public announcement regarding scuba diving in Cozumel and any dive areas closed should come from a announcement from a FORMAL source!

THIS IS HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE!

7. Christi

NONE! We had an emergency meeting and are fighting it.

Their reasoning admits that the diving industry will take the biggest economic hit and it also acknowledges that the diving industry has the LEAST impact on the stress on the reefs.

Lack of enforcement and mismanagement has caused the 50+ illegal operators to continue. Those of you who dive with illegal ops (no park permits and/or not a registered business [cash only is a good hint that they aren’t paying taxes and we’ll as low priced], and those who Allow clients to carry spears) have contributed to this blanket “punishment”.

It is an asinine “solution” and I am optimistic that we will be successful With a presentation of alternative options.

Gdog, JenLoves2Dive and ChuckP like this.
  8. Christi

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

don’t count on that - most of us haven’t raised prices in years when we should have and operating costs continue to rise. Nice try though.

JenLoves2Dive, ChuckP and Streydog like this.
  9. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That would not help. The word went out today, from some dive ops, on FB, etc. and people are going to discuss it, whether in this thread, on new threads, on FB, or whatever. It's really best to do so here, with SB moderation, and not try to hush the talk.

ScubaBackpacker, cvchief and Scuba_88 like this.
  10. ChrisM

ChrisM Solo Diver

Christi hope you and ANOATT are successful in fighting this stupidity

Shawn C likes this.