Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how much trash will be littering the southern reefs after 3 months of divers not being there to collect it?

I pick up trash that I see but it is rare. Maybe it is because a piece or two every few days by hundreds of divers prevents any meaningful accumulation. We shall see if they reopen those sites.

I wonder how much trash will be littering the southern reefs after 3 months of divers not being there to collect it?
Probably about 20 metric tons after that Lakam Ha development around Palancar is finished.

Reactions: JFS
So, John at Undercurrent won't let go, he is like a dog with a bone. However he does not know me. I never let a bone go in my life.....

He claims his reports are from "informants were both at the official meeting and are unimpeachable". Then he says he double checked with Aldora's PDF. (anyone got the PDF?) So @Dave Dillehay You are in on this as backing them up. And you owe me a margarita....

1. Specifically, Undercurrent states: "White syndrome starts with the coral showing well-defined areas of whitening, which then expand and, apparently spread to all other coral colonies by contact, mainly through divers touching infected coral during dives"

I suggested that there is no science to that. Further I don't believe a direct causal relationship was suggested by Parque Marine. I *think* the Marine Park said divers kick the reef alot, the coral is sick and we need to do something. I don't think they said 'divers are the primary method SCTLD is spread.'

2. Undercurrent states that 'The areas where most diving in Cozumel occurs -- from Palancar Gardens (on Cozumel’s southwest quadrant) to Maracaibo, and Playa Bosh in the extreme south (including dive sites Columbia, Punta Sur, and El Cielo) will be closed'.

I believe those are some signature sites, but I have never seen a shortage of boats on the sites north of there. I think their statement is simple not correct. Beyond the fact El Cielo aint a dive site.... They only list 7 open sites include Barracuda and San Juan. I count at least 15 site still open in the Park alone. And you have to get to the 3rd paragraph to see any park sites are open.

3. Undercurrent states "so government scientists may investigate the causes of ‘white syndrome’ affecting hard corals there and gauge the amounts and effects of pollution discharged by the large hotels that border the marine park."

I know we talked about it, but did the Marine Park lay blame on the hotels like this? I kinda doubt it.

So if you own a dive shop or more importantly were at the Park's meeting, drop John an email at john@undercurrent.org and set him straight.

Sure is the closure sucks and some people won't want to come if they can't hit the signature sites, but there is still lots of diving that can be done.

And lets not pretend that Parque Marine solved SCTLD.

The truth is bad enough without Undercurrent sensationalizing it and making stuff up. Yea, I'm defensive, but most people who come even once to Coz on cruise ship call it 'their island."

I always say:

View attachment 542944

Of course it has been said about me:

View attachment 542945

My (private) email to you was as follows:
Hi again Rick,
Thanks for getting in touch. It’s a tough problem and we are pleased to hear from you. While we appreciate the short-term commercial implications for dive centers based in Cozumel, our remit is to inform our subscribers. The short-term nature of the notification of the closure of parts of the Marine Park meant that we had to get information out quickly to those of our subscribers that might have been affected by it.

Our informants were both at the official meeting and are unimpeachable. In fact, we double-checked the information against the PDF from Aldora Divers too.

A more detailed summary of the closure, and reasons for it, will be published in the October issue of Undercurrent (presently in production).

No comment on the subject of the communications, but thank you for showing up to participate in a dive discussion that is important to many

I have heard from three divers (independently) that just returned from Coz that the reefs were is the worst shape that they had ever seen and fish were scarce. All three said that they would never return. Is this a result of the disease? None of the three knew each other and all are experienced Coz travelers. I'm considering canceling a group trip in April. Very scary.

My (private) email to you was as follows:
Hi again Rick,
Thanks for getting in touch. It’s a tough problem and we are pleased to hear from you. While we appreciate the short-term commercial implications for dive centers based in Cozumel, our remit is to inform our subscribers. The short-term nature of the notification of the closure of parts of the Marine Park meant that we had to get information out quickly to those of our subscribers that might have been affected by it.

Our informants were both at the official meeting and are unimpeachable. In fact, we double-checked the information against the PDF from Aldora Divers too.

A more detailed summary of the closure, and reasons for it, will be published in the October issue of Undercurrent (presently in production).

Hey, @John Bantin

Glad you showed up to the party. You should pop into Cozumel 4 You on Facebook too where we are having a discussion.

And yes you repeatedly have said your sources were unimpeachable. (Not the best choice of words these day, but I digress.)

Please refer to my original question: Is Undercurrent saying SCTLD is primarily spread by diver interaction with coral? I ask as that was in your email blast. Has nothing to do with who was at the meeting or what was said, though I am interesting in know if what you meant to say was the marine park blamed the spread on divers? I didn't hear that either.

In fact, lets look at what the marine park (CONAMP) posted on their own site. Stopping diving was done to let the reefs recover from SCTLD. No mention of divers spreading it. And they count 14 reefs in the park and they are closing 3. Different even from my original count and WAY off of yours. There is also no mention of 'studying hotel sewage, runoff or whatever' in their notice.

I just asked you to correct those mistakes in what you published. That's all....

And I apologize if I was supposed to keep our discussion secret. You should have said something....
PM1.png
PM2.png

I have heard from three divers (independently) that just returned from Coz that the reefs were is the worst shape that they had ever seen and fish were scarce. All three said that they would never return. Is this a result of the disease? None of the three knew each other and all are experienced Coz travelers. I'm considering canceling a group trip in April. Very scary.

I was there in July, then two weeks ago and going tomorrow. The SCTLD is heartbreaking. Its just EVERYWHERE and so sad. I didn't think fish were scarce though. Schools were where I would expect them. Few nurse sharks as usual. Found like a 2 - 3 foot little one in a hole on Columbia Shallows. I wanted to hug him and bring him home.... So, not that noticed fish wise. There were a TON of Pederson's Cleaning Shrimp which was cool. And we found two nudibranchs we had not found before. Pretty sure they were Purple-Crowned Sea Goddesses. I actually found the one on Bolognes. Way cool. They are supposed to be uncommon according to Humann. Painted Elysia were a dime a dozen as usual even though they are supposed to be rare.

Oh and 5 lionfish, one dive Columbia Shallow. The fish there may take a hit.

Ill pay more attention this week. We will be hitting the closure reefs mostly I guess.

Interesting that 1.8 million visitors (or a majority of them) agree that paying 3052 pesos per person to enhance the reefs is good. That is about $154 (US dollars). I don't believe that.

I keep saying I am gonna buy the park pass thing to help out. Maybe this week!

Back
Top Bottom