Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temps in the winter in Coz? Who cares if you wear a full 5MM suit and sport a beanie (which I do). Water temp in Dec when we go is prob around 80. In Jan/Feb I assume it may drop to the upper 70's like 77-80 maybe. Anything you may read that says it is colder than that water temp is total BS.

I hit 74 once in February but that was due to a fresh water underground spring, 77-78 was the normal temp that trip.

Water temps in the winter in Coz? Who cares if you wear a full 5MM suit and sport a beanie (which I do). Water temp in Dec when we go is prob around 80. In Jan/Feb I assume it may drop to the upper 70's like 77-80 maybe. Anything you may read that says it is colder than that water temp is total BS.
It was a misunderstanding. What Don posted were records of air temperatures, plus he was pointing out that a couple of days it showed freezing air temps, which are clearly in error.

Just returned from Cozumel. Overall a great dive trip and definitely worth going and glad we did not change our destination. Yes , there's were some dives where the reef looked like the first new snowfall of the winter with white as far as the eye can see , but also sites that looked like Cozumel diving a couple years ago. Santa Rosa wall still awesome. Lots of Eagle Rays visiting. Hopefully it turns around soon.

What’s the reef closure status and plan? I just looked for an update on closure and related news and found nothing. Can anyone, like maybe @Christi, give us an update or share a good news source for the same?

Understanding is reopen December 15th, have heard chatter about random or rotating closings but just chatter

Our first of many dives will start on the 15th:)

Apprehensive about planning a dive vacation in Cozumel. Wondering what will dictate and the direct their next step, Will they open the southern reefs or close other neighboring reefs? I still wonder about those environmentally friendly sounding 'Marine Park Fees' which obviously went towards zilch.

Back
Top Bottom